Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I "thought" my chain came off while riding. (Pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I "thought" my chain came off while riding. (Pics)

If I didnt have bad luck I would have any luck at all. Just got the bike back from the shop with idle/oil issues so I went for a ride. I had been riding for about 2 hours and I started to head home. I get stopped at a light about 3 miles from home, when the light turned green I slammed it and took off. I jammed through the gears and when I hit 6th I heard an awful noise. I down shifted and slowed down, then the bike died so I pulled off the road. The bike wouldnt restart and I couldnt get it into nuetral, I knew I lost my chain or blown my trans. Luckily I was close to home so the wife came and got me, I got my truck and home made dirt bike carrier and got the bike home. See the pics, I can believe the Kat actually fit on the back of my Mountaineer. Lets just say I drove very very slow.

Anyways, I get the bike home and take it apart to find the head of a hammer stuck between the front sprocket and engine. I was pounding on something on my bike about 3 months ago and broke the head off of the cheap chinese hammer. I looked all over and couldnt find the head and I really didnt think anything of it. Well that sure bit me in the ***. The bike now starts and seems to cycle through all the gears fine but I havent ridden it because its leaking oil. It busted a hole in the sprocket cover and now my neutral safety switch doesnt seem to work. And of course the oil leak.

Im assuming there is a seal behind the front sprocket? It seems mine is torn and sticking out. Also, if I take the sprocket off the replace the seal and switch do I need to replace the lock nut of the sprocket? And what is the torque spec on that? Thanks
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

It seems like you have been having some really bad luck lately. It usually comes in three's. After that, it's all good.

Comment

That freakin blows... Can't believe that the piece of that hammer hung around in there that long...
      sigpic
      1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

WOW thats is crazy.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014
        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Damn cheap Chinese hammers.

Comment

WOW Bro your lucky it didnt lock up & just toss you over the bars. Good job keeping things under control and shiney side up
            *Note to self* Never use a dollar store hammer on the bikes!
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

chalk this one up in the weirdness hall of fame
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                Im assuming there is a seal behind the front sprocket? It seems mine is torn and sticking out. Also, if I take the sprocket off the replace the seal and switch do I need to replace the lock nut of the sprocket? And what is the torque spec on that? Thanks
                Yes , countershaft sprocket seal . No locknut on sprocket to replace . Sprocket gets about 90ft/lbs .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

iv replaced 2 primery seals now on two differant bikes in the lasdt year ..got a seal puler at harbor frieght for 12 bucks it works fast ...and air impact the frt. sprocket nut on

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    Yes , countershaft sprocket seal . No locknut on sprocket to replace . Sprocket gets about 90ft/lbs .
                    I figured the nut on the sprocket was a lock nut, so I guess its okay to use? Anyone tell me off hand what size nut it is so I take the right one home from work.

Comment

32mm if it's the same as my '90 750
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Or 1 1/4" , which is what i use for mine . They're apparently the same size ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i had a chain break on a 96 bandit 600, it hit the crank case and put a whole in it. the motor and crank case is all one piece, so i was screwed. it all worked out though, now i have a kat.(way better)

Comment

pull the sprocket off and start the bike in neutral
                            watchn the shaft as it spins (it will still spin in nuetral)
                            make sure you did not bend the countershaft or phuck up that bearing before you put it back on the road
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              pull the sprocket off and start the bike in neutral
                              watchn the shaft as it spins (it will still spin in nuetral)
                              make sure you did not bend the countershaft or phuck up that bearing before you put it back on the road
                              The carnage continues. I did tear up that bearing. Can I get that bearing in and out without splitting the case? Please tell me yes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X