X

mid range sputter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid range sputter

I bought a 95 kat 600 had been sitting a year or so, I went throught the carbs they are spotless now. I have a midrange sputter , 3000-5000 rpm cruising or accelerating I have dual pipes that say reese on them don't know if stock or not. But the ends have been cut off and welded back on and it is very very loud so I am assuming the baffles have been removed. If you look into the outlet it is an empty can. The main jets are stock in the carbs and the air idle screws are at 2 1/2 turns out from seated. It also has an erratic idle . I have played with the air screws and it did not get much better 2 1/2 turns is where hey were when I got the bike. Please help if you have any ideas. Oh plugs are new air filter is new oil and filter have been changed , there is no black smoke , the choke is all the way off and above 5000 rpm it has full power and sounds great.

3-5k is ussually when the needles are kicking in. If you had a jet kit I would suggest dropping the clip 1...

Do your needles have slots, or are the stock? Do you have the "washer" under them?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sounds like you roughly set the carb bank but did you actually sync them?
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Would syncing help with mid range? The needles are stock and the way they are installed is needle with clip on it goes in fist then a plastic washer then the long spring goes on top,Is that correct??

Comment

Originally posted by travist View Post
          Would syncing help with mid range? The needles are stock and the way they are installed is needle with clip on it goes in fist then a plastic washer then the long spring goes on top,Is that correct??
          You didn't mention the jet needle ring....

Clip goes on the needle... bottom side of it should be the jet needle ring slid up to the clip, and top side would be the washer that the spring sits on.

Check the micro fiche for specific details of all parts for the carbs to make sure your not missing parts...

If you don't have the jet needle ring, that would cause exactly the issues you mentioned....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X