X

Odd noise...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd noise...

01 kat 750 16xxx miles. It has developed an odd noise in the past few rides. I can hear it in any gear. It doesnt do it in neutral. I think its a tranny issue but im not sure. The nosie gets faster as the bike gets faster. It amost sounds like a stick in a bicycle wheel. Thats the best way to describe it. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.
    01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.
    Repaint this winter, along with some other stuff

How's your chain tension?
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
      How's your chain tension?
      I would think chain as well. The post Kat's are not know for tranny issues unless your bike has been abused.

At speed, how many times per second does it make that noise?
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

If the noise disappears in neutral (while in motion), check to see if the noise disappears on negative throttle (i.e. - if you're at 40 and close the throttle, does the noise go away/change? What about it you pull in the clutch while in motion?).

Odds are unless your oil is particularly low or you've ruined your tranny output shaft in an accident, it's just your chain/sprockets/swingarm interacting, as the others said.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had a similar issue on my kat, turned out to be the windscreen had worked loose and was buzzing at speed. A simple twist of the bolt solved it.
          sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Oil level? Tire pressure? Are the tire wearing unevenly or have foreign material lodged in one?
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

make sure the neighbor kids haven't placed straws on your wheels another simple thing to check. if you have the plastic chain gaurd make sure its not rubbing the chain or wheel...

Comment

The noise goes away on negative throttle. If the bike was in an accident, it happened before I bought it. Chain is tight. I adjusted it yesterday to make sure it wasnt the chain. I'll check to see if the chain is hitting the swingarm.
                01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.

Comment

If the noise goes away on negative throttle, it's somewhere on the chain, such as a suck link, or past it's service length...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I figured it out. When I adjusted the chain yesterday, I didnt take enough slack out of it. It was hitting the bottom of the swingarm when my girlfriend and I were on it. All is good now. Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.

Comment

chain!

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                        chain!
                        yeah, it's about time for a new one!!

Comment

Working...
                        X