X

99 Kat Headlight switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Kat Headlight switch

Hey I think my headlight switch is burnt out on my low side of my lights. How har are they to change? I need to replace my choke cable anyways so I can opperate it the right way instead of reaching inside of the farings to fiddle with the small portion that is left.

I tested the low beam fuse and it was good but not getting any power so I guess the next thing to check would be the switch? I have tried to download a service manual but every time I try to do that the links are always dead.

Does anyone have a blow up or any advice to what I need to do? I am a mechanic but my Mitchell on demand does not cover bikes and this will be the first bike I have owned so I have no clue on the proper way to work on them yet.

Well thanks in advance for all the helpfull info that I know I will recive from you. (also what is the best place to get a new swich from if this one cant be fixed? ebay? junkyard? or only new?)

A search under headlight plug brought up this, I knew what to key in because this subject has come up before. I'm basically saying in a nice way to use the search button.

From there shows a previous thread here like what's happening to you..

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

On the second page, Cyber has some info on trouble shooting.

However, check the headlight plug as it failed on me.

Last edited by squiggy; 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

sorry that was my fault for not tring to search. But if my problem was the headlight connector I would have power at the lo side fuse not just the high side fuse.

Comment

I had the solder on my switch loosen and fail as well a couple years before the plug. You could certainly try it.

Comment

I want to thank you for your help squiggy. I got to go to work and after I help my boss stab his tranny into his jeep that we rebuilt yesterday I guess it will be time to tear into the ket fontend so see what the problem is. as soon as I learn more about what is going on I will post back this afternoon.

Comment

there is only ONE fuse for the headlight, runs both high and low beams. it's the one in the fuse block with the orange/red stripe wire running from it. you can troubleshoot the switch with a simple ohm or continuity meter. you should have a circuit from the yellow/white to white when on low, and yellow/white to yellow on high. did you check the bulb with your meter? at the bulb connector, continuity from white to black/white for low, and yellow to black/white for high. the bulb itself, from each tit on the base to the metal band around the outside bottom.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

The solder on the switch probably broke off. I had both the high and low beam solders break at the same time. the switch is tricky to solder and you'll definately need a second set of hands to help. you could buy a new switch with the wires already soldered(only way it comes because the solders are so hard to do by hand) but the dealer wanted 120 bux for a switch and then you have rerun all the wires. check the switch, thats probably where your problem is
              "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

OK on my 99 Kat I do have 2 fuses. One for HI and one for Low. If anyone needs pics of this I would be more than happy to take a few to upload. I double checked all my grounds to make sure there was not a grounding issue. If I ran power to the low side fuse I had the lights come on. I took apart the switch and there was my problem. The low wire had broke off the solder. Cleaned the old off a bit and reconnected the wire now everything is working great. I want to thank all who helped me on this problem.

Also the pics of your bike squiggy, my connections are not in the same spot as yours. my head light junction ( what was burnt on yours. ) is way in the right side flaring. What year is yours?

Well like I said thanks everyone for all the help in this problem. it gave me a chance to turn my brake and clutch levers down so the were more comfy

Comment

i also have a 99 and i also have 2 fuses. i dont know about other years, but i definately have 2 headlight fuses
                  "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

Originally posted by wicked1z View Post
                    Also the pics of your bike squiggy, my connections are not in the same spot as yours. my head light junction ( what was burnt on yours. ) is way in the right side flaring. What year is yours?
                    Mine's a 2001 750.

The headlight switchgear is in the same location. In my pic above, it is one of the yellow or black connector plugs. The actual plug to the headlight is the translucent plug in the center.

Comment

Working...
                    X