X

750 Katana sputter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 Katana sputter

Ok so heres my sititutation this is my second season with 93 750. I bought it with the head off because the guy that had it before me thought it was making a noise. So after I bought it and put it in the shop and the mechanic there didn't see not any major engine problems so he put it all back together gave it a quick tune on it and got it back to me. It has always had an eratic idle but now it seems to sputter a bit when i'm just cruising, accelerating seems just fine but just going at a steady speed I can feel a miss or something. I think the two problems are related but i'm not much of a mechanic but i know there are a bunch of smart people here that could probably help me out.

"quick" tune? clean thy carbs, and sync um. Make sure all the sync ports are sealed and other vacuum related stuff is sealed goodly. recheck the airbox boots, and that the drain hose that runs to the bottom of the skoot is capped/plugged. new plugs while the tank is off too wont hurt
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

And hope he counted the cam chain pins correctly : .....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Aftermarket exhaust?
        Jet kit?
        any popping or backfire at anytime?

pulls okay on accel?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When I say quick tune that was pretty much what I was impying, a good cleaning and a sync. I had an inclination to pull and change the plugs but I wasn't sure if I need to pull the tank to do that. As for the cam pins I really have no idea. Most of the time it runs just fine, sometimes when its warmer out eg. 75-80 when I get back from a ride the idle likes to hang between 2000 and 3000, I've tried using the idle adjusting screw and seem to get no affect. So the idle, and the feel of a sputter when cruising is all I have to go on. The only popping and cracking I get is from a high decel when I get a little aggressive on my downshifting, besides that it runs great, no hesitation on accel after its warm of course. It has dual F1 pipes for exhaust and as for a jet kit i don't really know that either. Thank you in advance to any help and or advice.

Comment

you may wanna verify that your choke is all the way off You can feel the slide with your fingers on the left hand side of the bike thru the faring. they sometimes tend to stick and hang up causing a high idle. If thats all ok id start looking into vacume leaks. Good luck.
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by CC93750 View Post
              When I say quick tune that was pretty much what I was impying, a good cleaning and a sync. I had an inclination to pull and change the plugs but I wasn't sure if I need to pull the tank to do that. As for the cam pins I really have no idea. Most of the time it runs just fine, sometimes when its warmer out eg. 75-80 when I get back from a ride the idle likes to hang between 2000 and 3000, I've tried using the idle adjusting screw and seem to get no affect. So the idle, and the feel of a sputter when cruising is all I have to go on. The only popping and cracking I get is from a high decel when I get a little aggressive on my downshifting, besides that it runs great, no hesitation on accel after its warm of course. It has dual F1 pipes for exhaust and as for a jet kit i don't really know that either. Thank you in advance to any help and or advice.
              Idle hang means it's lean on the idle.... turn out the air/fuel screws by 1/2 turn and if it was sporatic, that may fix it. Factory setting is a little lean, so most go 2.5 turns out.

What range of RPMs are you having issues with... all, or just in say 4-5k?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I would say between 4000 and 6000 is when i notice it most, the sputtering feeling that is. The other day i went for a quick ride, probably no more than a half an hour and thats when i had the idle problem, first time this season. I checked the choke and it seemed to be all the way in against the carb so i gave it a little more and then shut it off again and the idle just went up from about 2000 to 2500. I do plan on messing with the idle adjustment screw but i messed with it so much last season i really have no idea where its at. When i rode in to work this morning the idle was completely normal but the sputter was still there so maybe the two things aren't related. I guess all i can say is that as long as it keeps running i'm happy. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

I would say between 4000 and 6000 is when i notice it most, the sputtering feeling that is. The other day i went for a quick ride, probably no more than a half an hour and thats when i had the idle problem, first time this season. I checked the choke and it seemed to be all the way in against the carb so i gave it a little more and then shut it off again and the idle just went up from about 2000 to 2500. I do plan on messing with the idle adjustment screw but i messed with it so much last season i really have no idea where its at. When i rode in to work this morning the idle was completely normal but the sputter was still there so maybe the two things aren't related. I guess all i can say is that as long as it keeps running i'm happy. Thanks again for all the advice.

Your symtpoms indicate the following...

1. Sporatic idle issues is most likely due to debris in the carb bowls cloging your pilot jets.

2. The sputtering at 4-6k is due to incorrect needle settings, OR!!! floting junk in the carbs that is interferring with the main pilot jets operation.

The common theme is... Clean your carbs well.

Pull one of the bowls off and look to see if there is any dirt or buildup in it. If it's not spotless (clean) then you definately need to clean the carbs as your first step of resolving this issue.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I am going to run my gas down and tear into it this weekend hopefully. I don't doubt there is crap in the carbs from the looks of the stuff that came out of the tank when i got it running last spring. Once i get the carbs clean and new plugs in hopefully all will be right again with the world. On a side note, what is the little rocker switch on the bottom of my insterment cluster. Its a little black rocker switch with a red light in the middle and i have no idea why its there. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

On a side note, what is the little rocker switch on the bottom of my insterment cluster. Its a little black rocker switch with a red light in the middle and i have no idea why its there. Thanks for all the advice.
                      Not stock, that is something someone added...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

It's a Go GO Gadget Eject button, don't push it.

Yeah, that ain't stock.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Likely someone added lights .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                          X