X

Brake light problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light problems

So, today I discovered that my brake light is staying on all the time. I ran into this with my previous bike and traced it to a faulty switch on the front brake lever.

My first course of action is to check the continuity of both brake light switches. If I'm not mistaken, the brake light switch (at least in the front) completes the circuit when the lever is pulled in, correct? I assume the rear brake switch operates in a similar manner.

Now, I've looked a bit, but admittedly the rear brake area is a bit crowded. Where exactly is the brake light switch for the rear brake pedal?

If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

The rear brake light switch is usually the culprit (if you haven't dropped the bike and compromised the hand-lever/pivot), and the rear switch's failure to retract is usually a result of debris on the portion that actually moves on the switch (preventing it from retracting fully). The switch itself is typically connected on most brands of bikes to a spring that hooks to the back-side of the pivoting mechanism that the brake lever sits on, and the switch is located slightly forward of the rear master cylinder, higher up. Should be simple to spot if you're looking at the area just behind the heel-guards on the Kat and push the foot-lever for the rear brake down manually.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the valuable info, The CyberPoet! I'll check that first.

Comment

Alright, so whats the easiest way to get to the rear brake switch. I see it, but I can't seem to get to it. I'm hoping there's a way without removing all of the plastics...

Comment

Take the right rear side panel off was the only way I could get to it with hands....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Okay, I've ruled out both switches as the culprit. I disconnected them both and the rear light remained on. Moreover, I checked them with a multimeter and both worked properly.

So, I've traced it back and I believe the bulb has a short in it...

And, as typing this, I realized my problem. My brake light wasn't remaining on, but the filament that lights up when actually braking is burned out. I've just been seeing the normal running light! I'm an idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by primal View Post
              I'm an idiot!
              No sweat.

By posting your experiences of mechanical or electrical issues and solutions, when other do a search they will see what to look for.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Well, its an example of prior experiences leading you astray.

My previous bike had the same problem... the brake light stayed on. I traced the problem to the front brake switch popping out of its holder. When I had the same problem on the Kat, my first thought was the brake switch, and after ruling out the front switch I proceeded to remove the fairings from the right side in order to get to the rear brake switch. Long story short, I started looking for a short somewhere and traced it back to the bulb. Looked at the bulb, and bam, it hit me.

Comment

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Glad you got it, and it was ultimately an easy fix.

I like easy fixes.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X