X

leaking oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking oil?

My 600 seems to be leaking oil from somewhere on the engine and it is dripping down the side of one of the overflow tubes. The oil drain bolt was stripped and i thought that is where the oil was coming from so i put a new pan on it, but now it is not leaking from there anymore but somewhere else. Can anyone help me out?

Kind of hard for anyone here to answer that for you. You are probably just going to have to get down and dirty and find the source. Good luck
    Let's go riding!

Comment

i did just oil the chain with spray on chain wax... could that have anything to do with it?

i have also taken all the panels off along with the gas tank and i cannot seem to find a source of the oil leak. The oily substance that is leaking looks like a very watery or thin oil.
      Last edited by nick0484; 06-05-2009, 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My head cover gasket was leaking on the right side n ran right down the overflow tube...Changed the gasket, no more oil on the tube.
        sigpic
        1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Im def gonna have to take more apart on the bike and see if i can pinpoint where and if it is for sure leaking

Comment

oil leak ??

Im not tellin you what to do, but if you think you have a leak at the engine cases the best thing to do is clean all the engine so there is no grease or oil on it at all. Where u think the engine is leaking oil spray tinactin or foot powder spray to the engine gaskets. It is a spray usually used for athletes foot it is white. Run the engine and you will notice oil marks wherever your leak is as the white will turn color.

Comment

I had a harley sized leak that I gained from my last trip to DumbLuck's house. I took all the plastics off, sprayed the whole darn thing down with degreaser, then pressure washed. After that, I cleaned everything manually (don't pressure wash where the gaskets are). I knew it was on the left side of the bike, because that's where the puddle was forming on the belly pan. So, I started her up, let it warm up, smashed the throttle a few times so the neighbors could hear the Yosh a bit, then shut her down. Nothing. No drips. I was like, wtf, maybe it fixed itself, that would be cool! I cleaned up the garage, baffled, and went inside. About two hours later I came back out to let Sully do his thing, and sure enough, there was the leak again. The left side engine cover was loose. Go figure. I ordered a new gasket. Crappy part is the oil has 300 miles on it. Grr.

Good call on the foot powder. Tough Actin' Tinactin! I spose baby powder would work as well. I'm trying to think of the excuse I'd give the wife as to why I'm swiping the baby powder for my bike. Hmmph... interesting thought

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                I had a harley sized leak that I gained from my last trip to DumbLuck's house.
                Let's go riding!

Comment

300 mile oil

Oh new oil no need to drain just tipp the bike on its side and remove the case. I usually put a big plastic bag of old clothes on the side the bike is being laid on as to not screw anyyof the cases up. just a suggestion - works better with dirt bikes though. I used to use a big bag of clothes about the size of a big bean bag to lay the bike on.

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                    I had a harley sized leak that I gained from my last trip to DumbLuck's house.
                    bastid left a huge oil mark on my driveway that doesnt want to come up. I may have to resort to muratic acid and acid wash the concrete. I'm makin GoodieTwoShoes park on cardboard next time he's here
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

as i tore my bike apart today, i found a few issues. First, I found that there seems to be a drain on the bottom of the air box with no hose attached. There is a nearby hose that has a cap on it at the other end by the rear brake. Do i need to reattach this> Should matter be coming out of that drain? Secondly, I found that the drains on two or three of the carbs are leaking an oily substance. Please help me
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by nick0484; 06-06-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

oil leak ??

Yeah definatly put that hose back on the bottom of the airbox. The hose with the rubber plug on the end of it thats the one. While your at it pop the air filter out and wipe the inside of the air box out with a wet paper towel. Your oil on the carbs might be coming from the airboots. Wipe them clean and run the engine awhile to see if you can see where its coming from. Dont spray tinactin at the carbs it will make a mess. Oh you should be a buddy and let me know if you have any type of a seal on your air filter assembly.

Comment

Im gonna try that out and i think Im gonna try tightening the drain screw on the carbs while Im at it since the previous owner may have loosened them and never retightened them

Comment

I did not have any type of seal on my k & n air filter, but it seems like there is a fluid leaking in from the top where the rubber hose hooks to something on the top of the engine

Comment

Working...
                            X