X

HELP... I think I just killed my kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP... I think I just killed my kat

first off... can anyone give me a reason as to why the cam chain tensioner wouldn't extend when it still had lots to go?

secondly I just installed a manual tensioner and I'm not sure why but the motor just wont stay fired and the throttle is sticking in the very first little bit.

I'm going to rip it apart tomorrow again and install the oem tensioner and see if that fixes the issue. but can anyone give me an idea as to why the throttle may be sticking now?

If the tank is back on the bike, it's possible the throttle cables have criss-crossed onto each other thereby essentially pinching them.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

well I figured out what went wrong... throttle was hung up on the clamp for the carb. I turning it abit thinking I was being smart giving me easier access. stupid me.

I put the old tensioner back in and tightened it up abit. Runs nice now. Time for a clutch job and some brakes.

Comment

Good job huntin down the problem!
        Keep us posted on how it all turns out!
        And throw up some pics in there too!
        Get out and ride!

Comment

New issue has arised... she's got no power or real bad hesitation after 6000 rpms. Not sure if it's a misfire or a vacuum issue. Anyone else have this problem? also it only seems to have this issue after 100km/h

Comment

Originally posted by smokeshow81 View Post
            first off... can anyone give me a reason as to why the cam chain tensioner wouldn't extend when it still had lots to go?
            Usually it's either the spring is weak, or there's a big glob of gunk (formerly oil) sitting right at the point the button pops out. Spring is super-easy to replace (I carry them here); clearing gunk is as simple as taking the barrel of a bic-pen and poking it through, then switching to higher detergent/higher vapor-temp oils in the future.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 06-07-2009, 04:06 AM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well the issue was traced to the lower portion of the airbox not being connected properly on 2 cylinders... the middle two actually. Anyways I reconnected it and made sure everything was sitting on properly and now she has no issues with anything. Idles sweetly at 1500rpms and can take you to 160 with full power coming on at about 7800 rpms. Dyno'd at 63hp or so the paperwork says.

Possibility she might be worthy of collector status next year.

Comment

63 HP

Comment

Yeah , um , 63hp ain't takin you to 160mph . MAYBE kph ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Why you guys want to rain on his parade?

If his sprockets are off (98+) or his tires are non-standard, it might be reporting 160

Meanwhile, I'm thinking unless it's been beat, he should have seen 67-69 HP on the dyno out of a typical, healthy Kat 600...

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      Why you guys want to rain on his parade?

If his sprockets are off (98+) or his tires are non-standard, it might be reporting 160

Meanwhile, I'm thinking unless it's been beat, he should have seen 67-69 HP on the dyno out of a typical, healthy Kat 600...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      if it says 160 and it feels like it to you.. keep rocking on and running 160 :
                      sometimes i put my speedo on kph just so i can pretend i'm ghost rider

Comment

Of course I'm talkin Km/h... I'm from BC canada. I'm not sayin she's super fast but I see 120 - 160km/h as cruising speed.

I better check the paperwork again then... cause this bike is supposed to have a different cam installed. Not sure if the bike is beat on but she does have 70,000km/s on the clock.

Comment

The difference in expected HP could be down to something as simple as a worn chain & sprockets -- they can suck 15% of the power if they're in bad shape.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

its amazin all the lil factors that can rob your RWHP
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

just read the dyno sheet. 64.5hp at the rear wheel on a dynojet 150.
                              Thats just not going to do. Altho I did just meet an old friend today with a 91 750 gsxr that could be a parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X