X

Stalling when coming to a stop when warm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling when coming to a stop when warm

This is somewhat continued from another thread but i don't want the information to get confused.

Bike starts fine, when it's warmed up it idles where it should and for about the first 5 minutes of riding it drives beautifully.

After that, I can be coming up to a stop and pull in the clutch 50 feet away and it will chug-chug die.

What can I do to figure out what's going on?

If you adjust your idle up to compensate for the dying does it idle too high when coming to a stop?
    sigpic

Comment

What would be the proper way to do this? Where can I find the idle adjustment?

Comment

on my 04 it is just inside a side vent on left of bike
        its a black plastic thumb screw
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

On my '97 it's a brass colored knob to the right of the fuel selector switch and below the carbs. Turn it clockwise to increase idle, and counter-clockwise to decrease. Just turn it like a 1/4 turn, see how the idle changes, and if necessary do another 1/4 turn, check again, etc etc until you get the idle where you want.

Comment

Figured out the issue was. Apparently there was a crack in the air box and in the seals. Now i've got to find a replacement... Any leads?

Comment

By seals do you mean where the carb boots slide in? That could be a bit of a pain, but as for the crack how big is it? If it's small Im sure you could fill the crack with some JB or ABS cement. It doesnt have to look pretty, it just has to seal.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

mine has been doing almost the same thing. except that tonight it completely just conked out. it would chug and not respond to the throttle at all. i ad to push it home.. which is not cool. I thought it might be due to overheating cuz im running it naked and the farings arent there to direct air through the rad. anything else i should check?

Comment

apparently its pretty extensive. I can't see it because it is sitting at the shop but if the boots are toast i wouldn't be surprised. Plus the previous owner dropped it so if it was loose then...

Now i just have to find the setup somewhere. They quoted me about $300 for the air box and parts. Gonna check ebay. Any other places i should scope?

Comment

Where are you located at? If in the US I can get you a brand new air box cheaper than that with a new air filter.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by mister2quick View Post
                      apparently its pretty extensive. I can't see it because it is sitting at the shop but if the boots are toast i wouldn't be surprised. Plus the previous owner dropped it so if it was loose then...

Now i just have to find the setup somewhere. They quoted me about $300 for the air box and parts. Gonna check ebay. Any other places i should scope?
                      Before replacing it, go to the shop, and look at the issue.

New boots for the box are about $28 each from bikebandit.com. The suggetion that a crack could be sealed with ABS cement is right on for the airbox. Even if the box is broken in half, if all the parts are there (or only small pieces are missing) it's still an easy fix. 8oz of abs cement is $3 at lowes, and that is enough to almost make a whole new box from scratch!...

Or... you could purchase a used box off ebay for alot cheaper than new.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just stopped by the shop and its cracked about half way around and the "fins" are deteriorating, so replacing it is the best idea.

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                        Where are you located at? If in the US I can get you a brand new air box cheaper than that with a new air filter.
                        Do you accept paypal? Shipping to 17701 and about how long would it take? Do you happen to have the boots as well? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                          PM'd

Comment

Working...
                          X