Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Clutch will not engage! bike has not moved!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch will not engage! bike has not moved!

My bike will start fine but when I go to put it in gear the clutch is not engaging. All you hear are the gears grinding then it dies.

The kick stand is up so that is not the issue.

My bike has been sitting for 3 weeks and has not moved and worked fine before today. The clutch lever feel like it has prenty of tension.

If I put the bike in gear and pull in the clutch to start it will not start or allow me to roll the bike forward.

Any ideas??

Note: I did change the oil before it sat for 3 weeks - could the clutch just be sticking??
    Last edited by sammjohnston; 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM.

It could be sticking although if it is, it's interesting that it happened so fast. Try tying the clutch lever in over night and see if that helps.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

My Guess: Cable snapped, the tension you are feeling is the frayed ends inside the sheath and not the actual activation of the clutch. Easy way to tell: remove the front sprocket cover and check for movement when you squeeze the lever.

If this is the case, I have the replacement cables here in stock, can be at your door by Monday with standard shipping.

Meanwhile, gears grinding has zero to do with the clutch and everything to do with the foot action -- hard, fast snaps are called for!

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks - I will remove the cover tonigth.

Hope that is all it is!!

Comment

Originally posted by sammjohnston View Post
          Thanks - I will remove the cover tonigth.

Hope that is all it is!!
          Alternately, just remove the rubber boot that covers the clutch adjustment, and see if it turns as you pull the clutch lever in.

When I first got my Kat, I had to do a lot of work on it, and one of the things I did was change the oil, after which it sat for a week or two while I worked on it. The clutch stuck so that every time I dropped it into gear, it would kill the engine. I ended up just starting it in first gear while lightly holding the front brake, and letting it pull forward a foot or so until the clutch plates unstuck. It would still bog the engine when I put it in gear while the clutch was pulled in, but after a couple rides, it was perfectly fine.

Comment

ok, I finally got it working after adjusting the clutch several times. However, when I start I press down to go into first gear I have to slam it down other wise it makes a lot of grinding noise.

Do you think my clutch is going out?

Comment

repair

sounds like your clutch is sticking. you should take your right hand case apart where the plates are located. Take the clutch completly apart and make sure there are no plates sticking. Wet sand your steels on a flate plate some, and soak your fibers in oil over night.

Comment

If you try to shift slowly or gently, some grinding is to be expected. Shift fast and firm. If it still doesn't feel right, something is sticking.
                sigpic
                »Ross Wendell
                »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Working...
                X