X

I got one for ya!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got one for ya!!

I changed my front rotors this last weekend and it dawned on me after re-installing the front wheel that I never loosened the pinch bolt. A quick background: I put new tires on this winter and checked the bearings n greased everything that I could. I know I took out the pinch bolt then.

The Axle came out smooth as silk and went back the same way. Front wheel bearings are in great shape and the pinch bolt is tightened all the way. It won't tighten anymore, yet my axle will come out easily .

What are your suggestions??? 1990 750 Kat, Stock front rim, cottor pinned axle. What could be needing replaced???
    sigpic
    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

WOW lucky you!! That coulda turned ugly...Litteraly! Welp if the pinch bolt was out for a good bit of time it very well coulda wore out the axle keepers on the fork heads. it coulda wore down the axle itself. It may be time to break out the MIC. and do a lil measuring. you said the bearings looked ok, but did you check inside Diams.?
    cause somethins not right.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't leave it out, I was just saying that in the winter I took it out to remove the axle(didn't try to remove the axle first). This time however I was busy bull-chittin while removing the wheel and took it off without even trying to remove the pinch bolt. Had the wheel off, put the new rotors on, and the wheel back on tightening the axle when it hit me that I didn't even loosen the pinch bolt. The axle looks good, but I never considered wear on the keepers. I'll have to look it up to even see where they are. Wouldn't that, or axle wear be obvious when the front wheel is in the air tho? I mean that I would think I'd be able to notice some sort of play between the wheel itself and the axle upon trying to move it side to side or something?.?. Dunno,,

No I didn't mic the IDO of the bearings>>
      sigpic
      1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

OOOOk im with ya now. Yea more then likley youd feel somethin as you set it down from a wheelie. maybe not so much if you were trying to shake it by hand. (much more force behind the bike) It all feels normal out riding? This was somethin you just kinda stumbled accross?
        Joker
        sigpic

Comment

I have been fighting with getting my rear suspension set up right, but that's cause I just changed my rear shock and I am a narrow-azz. I weigh 150max with full gear(and a bucket of water). Cornering felt like the back end was trailoring out behind me, but I've gotten MUCH closer with my settings now. The only other handling issue that I have had was on hard braking, bike felt as if it was trying to dive left somewhat. I attributed most of that to my rotors being screwed. I've only got 30 mile on it since the new ones so I haven't got on the brakes hard to know if it still does that or not. I just felt that I shouldn't have been able to take out the axle without loosening the pinch bolt.
          sigpic
          1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Originally posted by mather_builders View Post
            I have been fighting with getting my rear suspension set up right, but that's cause I just changed my rear shock and I am a narrow-azz. I weigh 150max with full gear(and a bucket of water). Cornering felt like the back end was trailoring out behind me, but I've gotten MUCH closer with my settings now. The only other handling issue that I have had was on hard braking, bike felt as if it was trying to dive left somewhat. I attributed most of that to my rotors being screwed. I've only got 30 mile on it since the new ones so I haven't got on the brakes hard to know if it still does that or not. I just felt that I shouldn't have been able to take out the axle without loosening the pinch bolt.
            Naw.. I cant. Is the pinch actually closed all the way? or is the bolt just not going in as far as it needs to?
            Joker
            sigpic

Comment

I never mess with the pinch bolt .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

your axle slides right out too Md?
                Joker
                sigpic

Comment

I tap them out with a large screwdriver , but yeah . I like to grease them every time I put them back in , too .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hmm... now I gotta look next time I yank the wheel.
                    Joker
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      I never mess with the pinch bolt .
                      It took me reading this 3 times to remember there was a bolt.

I never mess with it either...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        It took me reading this 3 times to remember there was a bolt.

I never mess with it either...

Krey
                        Me too, I had to go look at it. I was like, "wtf are they talking about" . I've never touched that bolt, screw driver and a mallot on the axle.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I never take mine out either. I just tap the axle out. I grease the front axle every time though.
                          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Well I'm feeling better about it now,, if it's screwed up there's a lot of us gonna be in for a surprise, not just me.
                            sigpic
                            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

The pinch bolt at the bottom of the front axle is there to make sure the axle is aligned properly, not specifically as the primary retention mechanism. Might be sliding out without issue because the axle is coated with an anti-seize paste or some such (grease, etc.).

Normally you get the pinch bolt loose, remove the axle, do whatever (change tires, etc.), reinstall the axle, then compress the forks manually about a half dozen times to get the forks-to-axle interaction situated and retighten the pinch bolt.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X