X

Odd problems with first starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd problems with first starting

Ok maybe its just me, do I always have to choke the bike in order to get it started? or could something need replaced/cleaned? Everytime i havent rode it for a while wheter it be first thing in the morning or after work i have to mostly put the choke on to start it cause it will start but putter out...also what should my bike be idling at? mine is idle at 1000rpms

I have a 98 Katana 750

Not necessarily anything wrong, but your idle is a little low.
    Should be 1200~1300
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Ok good..and how do you adjust the idle?

Comment

Your idle adjuster is inside the smaller hole in your left fairing.

2002 GSXF 750

Comment

If the bike is cold (as in not recently been running), your probably going to need choke to start it. That is how it works. If it starts up pretty quickly with choke, you don't have any issues. Just don't run choke for very long.

Be sure before you adjust the idle, the bike has been operational for at least 15 minutes. Do NOT let it just idle for that long or it will overheat. Go for a ride, warm it up... then adjust the idle.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I use the choke every time I start it but on warmer days I just use it to start it, then I turn it right off and just rev up the engine some.

Comment

Sorry to jack this thread but I have a 90 kat that takes forever to warm up and I need the choke on every time I first start it? Is this normal for a kat? I have a friend that has an 83 kat 1100 and he just jump on and go. My bike also idles around 1000 rpm. My carbs were just cleaned by a shop and I dont see any difference in performance. I was told that would help. The only difference I see is that my bike now only runs on prime.I`m almost certain that I have a vacuum issue.
              1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Delgado View Post
                Sorry to jack this thread but I have a 90 kat that takes forever to warm up and I need the choke on every time I first start it? Is this normal for a kat? I have a friend that has an 83 kat 1100 and he just jump on and go. My bike also idles around 1000 rpm. My carbs were just cleaned by a shop and I dont see any difference in performance. I was told that would help. The only difference I see is that my bike now only runs on prime.I`m almost certain that I have a vacuum issue.
                Sounds like the shop forgot to hook the vacuum line back up to the carbs.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have a 96 Kat 600, when bike is cold I need to choke. I had my carbs cleaned and tuned by a motorcycle shop in the spring. (I only need to choke it to get it started, once moving I can shut choke off).

Comment

If you don't need to use choke when it's cold out then your set up is too rich.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                    X