X

Transmission Shifting Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Shifting Issues

Looking for suggestions on what to look for on this one. Have a 06 750 Kat that i installed a shift kit on awhile back and everything went fine and was shifting fine until one day. Fired it up and went for a cruise and it would not shift to the next gear sorta like someone put a stop bracket on it. Found that if I went down a gear it would upshift easily after that until the next time it started to act up. This can happen in any gear so so it wasn't abuse on the 2nd gear. The bike only has 6000 miles on it and has never been abused on shifting. To me it sounds like something is sticking but since I have never had the insides apart on a Kat I am willing to listen to any and all ideas as to what may be causing this. Today on my short ride it performed flawless for the first 6 miles and then it started acting up. Sometimes I can go 40~50 miles before it will do it's thing. It has done it both cold & hot so that shouldn't be it. Also the cliutch was adjusted properly and made no difference either before or after I adjusted the clutch.

Oh I should add that it downshifts perfectly fine all the time.

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 06-02-2009, 09:47 PM.

you could have a bent shift fork. Its probably not bent too bad but winds up hanging up on you from time to time.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas? Burn the bike?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
        Anyone else have any ideas? Burn the bike?

Tmod
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Remove the shift kit and see what happens.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yeah I might try the old stock spring and see what happens.

Tmod

Comment

I know nothing about this, but is there any chance you installed the spring wrong or backwards or something?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

whats in that shift kit ? maybe the spring hangs up if its to stiff

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  I know nothing about this, but is there any chance you installed the spring wrong or backwards or something?
                  Anything is possible but it has worked fine for 1000 miles with no issues and here is my thread on when I put the spring in. Shift Kit

Tmod

Comment

spring

How long after you installed the shift kit did it start acting up? Could be the spring is to stiff or the gear shift stopper , or the stopper cam have burrs on it. I would replace it with the stock spring and look for burrs or wear on the gear shift stopper plate. If you dont find problems there you could have a defect in the tranny internals.

you use 10-40 oil? suzuki?
                    Last edited by waffenampt; 06-03-2009, 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
                      How long after you installed the shift kit did it start acting up? Could be the spring is to stiff or the gear shift stopper , or the stopper cam have burrs on it. I would replace it with the stock spring and look for burrs or wear on the gear shift stopper plate. If you dont find problems there you could have a defect in the tranny internals.

you use 10-40 oil? suzuki?
                      I have put 1000 miles on it since the shift kit.

Right now I have Amsoil in it and before that it was Mobil 1.

No change after the oil change either.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                      X