X

rear rim bent = $8000?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear rim bent = $8000?

So someone rear-ended my 06 kat 600 at a stop light and, according to the shop, caused $8000 worth of damage. I forgot exactly what they said but the only damage I could see at the time was a bent rim. The shop said that because of it they would have to completely rebuild the frame or something to that effect. I don't remember exactly.

I got insurance to give me the bike back, so... how can a bent rear rim cost $8000 to repair?

Well, sounds like they are wanting to replace the frame and rear suspension including the wheel and swinger, maybe...

That would be quite a lot of man hours to do it all, so that would be a good portion of the price tag. I'm sure those parts new are not cheap either.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Your frame probably bent. $8000 will total any Katana.

New frame, plastics, subframe, swinger, I don't see $4k in parts unless your bike fell off of a 500 foot cliff and burst into flames. What all is wrong with it?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If it bent your wheel there is probably alot of damage you can't see. That really sucks.

Comment

My guess is they're claiming frame damage, and rear suspension (as Kreylyn guessed).

If it's true I'd let them total the bike and pay the difference to buy it back then find a donor frame (that has a clear title) from someone doing a part out and use that to rebuild and re-register.
          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
            My guess is they're claiming frame damage, and rear suspension (as Kreylyn guessed).

If it's true I'd let them total the bike and pay the difference to buy it back then find a donor frame (that has a clear title) from someone doing a part out and use that to rebuild and re-register.
            or be lazy and part it out and move on to something else

Comment

Originally posted by ADyingBreed View Post
              or be lazy and part it out and move on to something else
              +1
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Well, sounds like they are wanting to replace the frame and rear suspension including the wheel and swinger, maybe...

That would be quite a lot of man hours to do it all, so that would be a good portion of the price tag. I'm sure those parts new are not cheap either.

Krey
                If an experienced tech working on just that repair job can not install a swingarm on a new frame, add the front forks even....then swap all the other parts onto the new frame in under 20 hours or less, then he is one slowazz mutha. especially when you have all the right tools. there should be no more than $2k in labor...and even that is nuts. I would take the job myself for a grand if you supply all the parts.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Even at full retail I don't think the Kat's ever cost $8000.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks all... Yeah, what I did was I took insurance's company's money minus about $1000 for the bike back thinking I could probably fix it for cheaper. Guess I shoulda taken the 1000.

Comment

how much can you get it from insurance co for?you close to NC cause I want it if it ain't to much to buy it back an maybe lil extra for you.only noticable dammage is rear rim correct?
                      It's not an R bike,it's made for sport touring. Compare it to what it IS!

Comment

Originally posted by yangez View Post
                        Thanks all... Yeah, what I did was I took insurance's company's money minus about $1000 for the bike back thinking I could probably fix it for cheaper. Guess I shoulda taken the 1000.
                        If you work it, I'd bet you can get more than 1k out of it parting it out.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          If you work it, I'd bet you can get more than 1k out of it parting it out.

Krey

That's what I was thinking.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X