X

89 to 99 engine swap gone wrong help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 to 99 engine swap gone wrong help

Let just start with I got a engine from a running 1999 kat and put it in my 89. No big deal, but I have a no spark issue.thing replaced are Wiring harness used,CDI new, Coils test good plugs new, new signal gen, by passed the netural switch new battery $500.00 at a bike shop and still no spark. what am I missing? Kat God point me in the right direction!!!

First off you have a 88 Kat correct?

And you swapped in a 99 Kat engine? correct?

Which carbs did you use?

what year CDI did you use?

what wiring harness did you use?

Comment

The bike is a 1989 and the engine I put is was a 1999. Carbs are the ones from the 1999 with TPS. Harness is also from the 1999 which I have two and both make no change, switchs are also 1999 and new not used, CDI is also 1999 with the two connectors not the single plug.

Forgot to add the guage cluster is also from a 1999 used. All light work but I noticed when cranking there is no pluse on the Tach of any RPM should there be?
      Last edited by oldkat; 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by oldkat View Post
        The bike is a 1989 and the engine I put is was a 1999. Carbs are the ones from the 1999 with TPS. Harness is also from the 1999 which I have two and both make no change, switchs are also 1999 and new not used, CDI is also 1999 with the two connectors not the single plug.

Forgot to add the guage cluster is also from a 1999 used. All light work but I noticed when cranking there is no pluse on the Tach of any RPM should there be?

If that is the sole way your verifying spark, then we do not know that is the real issue.

Pull the plug, ground it well on the motor or frame, and turn the motor over, visually checking if there is spark. Do each plug.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have ground the plugs to the frame I also have a spark tester light and there is no spark. Things I have done, new ign switch, check all ign connections, battery voltage, coil peak voltage, signal generator peak voltage " it was low and was replaced with new, issue stilled no spark trouble shooting tree then gose to CDi replaced and still no change. Grounded out side stand switch and bypass clutch lever switch. Would like to confirm coil wire set up. left side white wire top and orange and white on the bottom when coil is set up in place on bike and right side black and yellow top and orange and white bottom.
          Last edited by oldkat; 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkat View Post
            I have ground the plugs to the frame I also have a spark tester light and there is no spark. Things I have done, new ign switch, check all ign connections, battery voltage, coil peak voltage, signal generator peak voltage " it was low and was replaced with new, issue stilled no spark trouble shooting tree then gose to CDi replaced and still no change. Grounded out side stand switch and bypass clutch lever switch. Would like to confirm coil wire set up. left side white wire top and orange and white on the bottom when coil is set up in place on bike and right side black and yellow top and orange and white bottom.
            If i've read that correctly you have the orange & white wires to the bottom connection on both coils but as the coils are reversed whan fitted to the bike the orange & white should be to the top on one coil
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I will try flipping the 1&4 coil wire and see what happons I will say the wiring diagram is poor when showing this detail.Let hope that is all it needs.

Comment

I have now changed the two wire so that the white coil wire is on the bottom. Yet with this change I still have a no spark issue, what is there I could be missing?
                Last edited by oldkat; 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

grounded out the side stand switch?? that may be your problem. the only switch that goes to ground is the neutral switch. all the rest including the side stand switch diode complete circuits, not ground them. i would also highly suspect your CDI wiring as you should have some sort of movement at the tach when turning it over with the starter. the tach reads CDI pulses not actual motor RPM
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Is it trying to start at all, or you just get no spark?

Have you tried jumping the starter relay?
                    Did you test the starter?
                    Does the starter have a good connection?
                    Do you get lights?
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The engine cranks over well and have pulled the plug to confirm the pistons travel. I have lights and have tried jumping the start relay.It just will not fire any spark? I had another harness 99 as well which I swap with the one it had in it so the problem is not there. One thing I am unsure to test which is used is the Cluster could this case a no spark issue? The deal is this, I had two kats 89 and 99. I wrote off my 99, front end damage only which was running. Since I had no collision kept the bike, now summer is here and nothing to ride!
                      Last edited by oldkat; 06-03-2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

replace the kick stand switch and also test your signal generator ,and go to a friend with a kat to test your cdi box

if that doesnt work then i would check the wiring harness wire by wire with a meter to see if all the wires are good

clean all the contacts from the harness with some sand paper or file

check the couls and the spark plug boots you never know i had all four blow at the same time was a pain in the *** to find out ........make shure your engine is well grounded

check all ground leads

Comment

anyone know if this got resolved?

I am having the exact same problem. Post motor in a pre-bike, using all new wiring harness and carbs.

Comment

Hello there

I never got the bike running as of yet, have replaced with new sign gen new wires, plugs, inst cluster, CDI box ,wiring harness with no luck. Took it to a loc bike shop they also had no luck. If you can get your running please let me know.

Comment

maybe I'm shooting in the dark here, but if it ran fine in the other bike, and only real diff is the wiring, I'd be suspect of the safety bypass, and/or loose wires in the connectors somewhere. had the same issue with a moped, damned thing died on me in the middle of the road. Temp fix 1, new plug, worked for a week, temp 2, new coil, got another week, the big fix-- turned out that one of the plastic tabs inside the connector that held the primary wire lead at the CDI box was busted off. That caused a loose connection that had me fumbling for a couple of weeks. to get the thing running, I just pinched the female end of the wire, and stuck it on, problem solved, Then I sold it

Comment

Working...
                              X