X

Clutch bleeding help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch bleeding help

I had the clutch hose off the secondary cyl and it was full of nasty fluid so i pumped it all out.. but emptied the reservoir.. I topped it up and now I can't get fluid moving thru the hose... I pulled the hose off right at the master cyl. and used my finger to plug the hole, releasing pressure as you would bleed normally and had pressure and fluid squirting out... just cant figure out how to fill the hose, doesn't seem to work having it all hooked up and using the bleed screw either.. help please...

with the line off the slave cylinder, pull in the lever, hold, use your thumb and middle finners to seal both sides of the slave end banjo fitting, release lever. you should feel the vacuum on your finners. once the vacuum subsides, repeat untill the hose is full then reattatch to the slave cylinder. make sure your sealing washers are good on each side of the banjo, and the banjo bolt itself is clean and clear. then basicly bleed as normal the slave cylinder. make sure you pump lots and lots of fluid thru as it's still gonna have plenty of snot in the slave unless you broke it down and cleaned it completely. you WILL make a mess so be carefull with your paint.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I was trying that... had my fingers plugging the boles on the end of the hose.. pulling in the lever.. releasing fingers, putting fingers back, releasing lever... was I doing it wrong somehow??

you should feel the vacuum on your finners. once the vacuum subsides, what do you mean by when the vacuum subsides exactly?????????????
      Last edited by 88GSX1100F; 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

is the bleeder stopped up? if not fill your res with fluid get a peice of hose an stick on the bleeder open it an grab a shop vac to see if you can suck da fluid down to it or you can always convert it to cable like da rest of da kats.
        It's not an R bike,it's made for sport touring. Compare it to what it IS!

Comment

no pressure with finners, pull and hold lever, pressure with finners, release lever, feel for vaccuum on finners to lessen/subside, release finners, do again. another trick i like is to get a large syringe, or the $20 vacuum bleeder kit from Harbor Freight and suck fluid down into the slave via the bleeder as sorta suggested above. shopvac is kinda overkill.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

Ok well my dad has a vacuum bleeder, I tried it for like an hour and a half.. getting it to like 20, then hold the clutch lever, then turn the bleeder screw and let the suction suck air out.... I did manage to pull some fluid thru but it seems like I am going nowhere, I tried it pumping the clutch lever also... not building pressure... or I'm doing it wrong or something.... this blows... can someone give me some advice here... bah!

Also after I release the clutch lever, with my fingers on each side of the banjo fitting, the suction is there for awhile, I can release my fingers and hear it... so ya..i donno..
            Last edited by 88GSX1100F; 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

if the vacuum is not subsiding by sucking fluid in from the master cylinder when you release the lever your master cylinder needs to be broken down and cleaned. one of the two tiny passages/valves is blocked. prolly the forward most pinhole sized one. the inside of the MC is prolly one large wad of snot around the plunger and cups

Comment

Alright, well I took the lever off, and the dust boot was already torn, so when i pulled out the pushrod it ripped all apart and I can't get the rest of it out.. should I just pick away at it? or... How important is it? And once I pull that out and the snap ring it should all come out correct? What should I clean it with, brake fluid???

Comment

brake cleaner will help melt away the crud, brake fluid will rinse it. BOTH will eat paint. you need a master cylinder rebuild kit. all those rubber pieces seal and allow the piston to move the fluid. do NOT scratch up the inside of the MC where the seals and piston belong. be gentle in there, scratches will keep the seals from doin their jobs. soak the rubber seals in brake fluid for a short bit before installation.

Comment

So would my local suzuki dealer have this rebuild kit? or is it a katana specific kit?? My dealership doesnt deal with much sport bikes. and i live in a small city...

Comment

TheCyberPoet might be able to help, or try places like BikeBandit.com, DennisKirk.com, etc. dealers if you dont mind payin lots

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        TheCyberPoet might be able to help, or try places like BikeBandit.com, DennisKirk.com, etc. dealers if you dont mind payin lots
                        Alright, well what I wanted to know is would my dealer have this, like would this be an interchangable clutch master cylinder rebuild kit, possibly used for a variety of bikes? like maybe its a kit that I would have a chance at getting from my small hometown dealer instead of waiting another 2 weeks for parts.. I have been waiting too long, its +30 outside all the time and my bike runs, just no clutch. I wanna try it out, haha....

Comment

Well..... like 5 hours later...... I pulled the master cylinder apart and that piston was so gummed up... so I just cleaned the **** out of that.. then tried for awhile, and some more, and some more... I ended up using some toflon tape on the bleed screw threads and got like 100% better suction from the pump.. then ya.. like an hour and half of that... haha, ANYWAYS.. I now have clutch... Its pretty tough to spin the tire with the lever in(on the stand), but once the bike is on the ground, and the plates spin a bunch and get worked in, and I need to lube the chain.. so I should be good, I will bleed it again if I am not impressed...

Comment

Working...
                          X