Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clicking when throttle..

Hello all.

I have a 02 750 kat 13k miles.

Problem: when i throttle i here a clicking noise,when i pull the clutch in or cost no clicking noise,it sounds like its coming from the rear sprocket area but the rear sprocket looks ok the chain is a little lose but if i tighten it the noise is still there.

I would love to replace both sprockets and chain but the front sprocket sets behind the shifter and i'm afraid to take it off to get a good look at the front sprocket (no clue what will fly out lol)

If i take the the (shifting box,not sure what its called) to get to the front sprocket will anything fly out like springs seals etc...

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bishop403; 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM.

(A) The noise is probably your chain slapping the swingarm (due to stretch), or snapping down a roller at the front sprocket teeth (due to wear). Time to measure the chain for service length, or test it at the rear sprocket by pulling it away at the center-rear of the rear sprocket (if you can get 1mm between the sprocket and the chain, it's definitely time to replace the chain). Note that this picture is intentionally extremely over-exaggerated for effect:

(B) Yes, you can take off the front sprocket cover without massive concerns. Grab the service manual (see http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...Service_Manual ) and look up the procedure.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sound`s like it might be time for new chain.

Comment

Thank you very much i will get on it asap..it is driving me crazy.

i tested it at the rear sprocket by pulling it away at the center-rear of the rear sprocket.
        The chain is tight as in wont move at all lol.
        Last edited by bishop403; 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Then lube the hades out of it and uncover that front cover to investigate.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok guys did what u said and...Worked great noise is all gone.

I lubed it a few days ago but apparently not the right lube.

Thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bishop403 View Post
              Ok guys did what u said and...Worked great noise is all gone.

I lubed it a few days ago but apparently not the right lube.
              CP's General Rules of Thumb on Chain Lube:
              use an oil-based lube (penetrates better than waxes, doesn't hold debris to the chain, does fling some).
              Spray a 6" section of chain (or across the rear of the rear sprocket from top to bottom) every time you take on fuel. It'll migrate around and coat the whole chain as you ride.
              Clean once every 1000 miles with kerosene or biodegradable degreaser, dry, relube entire chain.
              Best lube I've found to date is Permatex #80075 chain lube (bonus, it fits under the Kat's seat, plus available via many auto parts stores). Goes on as a foam, sets up into a gear-weight oil in a matter of a minute.

Too much lube may splatter your swingarm, wheel, but there simply is no such thing as too much oil-based lube when it comes to your chain's health (and the fling carries away debris with it).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X