Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help...Not starting, cranking but not kicking.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
    what i found out after doing the carb clean 101 was that it works if the bike has been sitting say over the winter . mine sat for 6 , 7 years ! i had to take each carb apart from each other and let it sit in the berrymans chemical dip for a day . each carb sat for a whole day in varying positions to get the cleaner into all the passages . the pilots , main , and emulsifiers all stayed in there for 4 days . after i did that i sprayed carb clean through every passage followed by air . on the floats the passage there MUST be clean and clear or it won't start . i made sure the spray carb cleaner went all the way through cleanly . put everything back together and presto . did'nt even have to choke it , she started on the first try . of course i still had to por-15 the tank before all this to ensure the rust did'nt kill my carbs again but she's running and i'm happy .
    At this point I'm willing to try anything. So I'm going to take it off the bike and open it up again.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

Comment

if it wont start or idle the pilot circuits are plugged up, and possibly even the choke. good good good thurough cleaning. do ONLY ONE carb at a time as some of the jets differ in size from carb to carb. you dont want to mix up parts and pieces. good sync after you get her to idle steady
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. DL, when I cleaned the carbs the first I did mix some of the parts up, so that might be an issue as well. This weekend I had military duty so I didn't have time to mess with the ride too much.
        However, I did open up two of the float bowls to check things out. Carb #2 had a leak in the float bowl that I noticed that occur during vibration or when the carb is tilted. I chalked that up to the gasket in the bowl, which I was correct because when I removed the bowl the gasket wasn't seated right. I also wanted to confirm if the bowls had fuel in it; tonight I'll check the float height but I believe that shouldn't be a problem. I'll mess with the screws tonight again to see if it fire up. I also confirmed that fuel was coming through the jets and needle seats correctly because when I tilted the carbs, fuel from carb #3 and #4 came spilling out the jets and seats of carb #1 and #2.

I think I the issue is with the mixture. I really didn't record it the amount of turn in when I dissembled the carbs. Everything I checked so far is good to go. Going to play with it again tonight and if no start then going to give another good clean.
        sigpic

Comment

dig out your repair manual to check the jet sizes for your particular carbs. on my '90 750 (bst36ss carbs) the main jet in carb 3 is larger than the others for example. I see that my Clymer also lists the A/F screws at 1 5/8 turns (factory) but that may be lean to conform with the emissions laws at the time.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Finally got it started w/o too many issues. Well, let me rephrase, it starts every time I hit the starter, unlike before. It idles much better, etc. When I apply the choke it idles up to 3K and can stay there if needed. I turned it off and on a few times and every time I tried, it started.

The only issue I had is that it idle very quickly with the choke on and when I take it off and tried to steady it with the throttle it doesn't hold. Also, while the engine was running, the engine gets hot quickly and there is smoke coming out of the exhaust (like fire).

Between today and tomorrow I have to see what I can do with it.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X