X

Idle quick adjustment turned all the way, still idling a bit low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle quick adjustment turned all the way, still idling a bit low

I have a non-modified 750 Katana 2005, it has about 17000 km/s on it (a bit over 10000 miles). The problem is that the quick idle adjustment does not give me more than 1000 revs or less. It used to get the revs to 1150 when turned all the way which was enough, but now it has gradually dropped. It has new oile, new spark plugs, new air filter and valve cleareance is checked to be ok.

What to do? How to get more from the quick adjuster?

Sorry if there is already a topic for this kind of behavior, I tried the search but wasn't able to use correct words etc to narrow the results down.

Sounds like you may have buildup in your carbs... Has it/does it sit for any length of time between rides, or for winter?

I would suggest trying some cleaner in the fuel, like seafoam for a tank or 2 first, and see if that helps things any.

Also check for any vacuum leaks.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks!

We have long winter, the bike is stored at least 5 months a year. I did not buy the bike new, so I do not know what was done on 2 first winters but I did disconnect the fuel line and let it run dry on my storages (also used fuel stabilizer so that the fuel in the tank does not get unusable).

One of the ruber tubes (probably not correct word, don't know it in english) that comes from air cleaner box to carburettor had loose binding, I tightened that. I got 1200 revs at max now. Throwing in some carburetor cleaner too, lets see what happens. Used STP, no Seafoam available around here.

What could be the normal max rev I'm supposed to get from the quick idle adjuster?

Comment

Your bike should idle at around 1-1.5k with the adjuster completely backed off. Going up from there should put you pretty high rpms...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It seems that if the bike stays still for a few days, the carb cleaner seems to get stuff out of them every time...engine runs badly from start for a few moments, then clears it if give some twist on the throttle. Every time I seem to get a little more idle rev with the adjuster.

For how long it is safe to use those carb cleaners? Maybe I just have to open up the carbs and clean them for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bf109 View Post
            It seems that if the bike stays still for a few days, the carb cleaner seems to get stuff out of them every time...engine runs badly from start for a few moments, then clears it if give some twist on the throttle. Every time I seem to get a little more idle rev with the adjuster.

For how long it is safe to use those carb cleaners? Maybe I just have to open up the carbs and clean them for good.
            It shouldn't hurt your engine, so there isn't really a time limit on using them.

If you don't want to wait, or make sure it's running the best it can, pull them and clean them.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

I'd pull the air box off and shoot some throttle body cleaner into the air jets.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
              X