X

Installing an '05 Kat 750 centerstand on a '93 Kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an '05 Kat 750 centerstand on a '93 Kat 600

I just finished installing a center stand from a 2005 Kat 750 on my 1993 Kat 600. It took a little modification, but seems to work.

The '05 750 stand:

After looking at the fiche and the pictures on eBay, I saw two differences to work on. First, the '05 centerstand has bushings, so I had to order them separately; I ordered the bolts at the same time. Second, the hook for the spring was on the opposite side. The '05 stand had it on the left, my '93 needed it on the right.

First I made a hook out of 1/8" steel that looked similar to the other hook.

Welded it in on:

After a quick coat of paint over the weld, I took the bolts holding the mufflers out and pried down on it so I could get the center stand bolts installed. Next, I cut a spring down to size and made a new hook on the end. I may need to shorten it even more to get more tension, as it doesn't seem to be pulling up on the center stand with much force; the main thing holding it up is where the foot lever rests against the exhaust pipe.

After putting it up on the stand, it looked like it was seated against the frame well:

Good writeup, this means more options for us with pre Kats now! I vote this be moved to the 'How To' section.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Nice job, you make it look so easy
      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Nice job!
        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
        sigpic

Comment

Great job!

Another recomendation for the how to section.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks, I got it for a decent price, and there seem to be a lot more "post" center stands than "pre" on eBay.

Comment

Good job, I have to ask though, Why not just cut the tab off adn weld it on the other side if the stand?
              Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post
                Good job, I have to ask though, Why not just cut the tab off adn weld it on the other side if the stand?
                Because my fallback position if it didn't work was to resell it on eBay

In retrospect, I probably could've just bought a standard hook and welded that on, it didn't need to look like the existing hook.

Comment

Working...
                X