X

Gas in the Air Filter Box!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas in the Air Filter Box!!!!

so i took off the air filter box and there was about a half gallon of gas in it. i figure the carbs are leaking into it. has anyone runinto this problem before... and what did you do???

leaking float valve in at least one carb, AND petcock either left on prime, or faulty
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by bobkat420 View Post
      so i took off the air filter box and there was about a half gallon of gas in it. i figure the carbs are leaking into it. has anyone runinto this problem before... and what did you do???

Was is just gas, or gas mixed with oil?

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
        leaking float valve in at least one carb, AND petcock either left on prime, or faulty
        +1

As for what you do, you track down which carb is leaking and fix the float (replace the float mechanism seals, adjust the float level, or whatever else is called for), fix the petcock, check the oil to make sure it's not loaded with fuel as well (replace if it is, including draining the radiator), drain the airbox, and replace the air filter.

You may also want to read through this:

I have the petcock repair kit, oil filter & air filters here for you if you need 'em. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

little on what i know about the bike. it sat for about 2 years before i bought it. gas tank was rusted and the carbuerator was gummed up from the gas sitting in there for so long.
          i am going to have to replace the petcock. when the bike is running it is just spitting gas out of the main part of it.
          i am also going to cleam the gas tank out again.
          and i am in need of a carb rebuild kit.

Comment

The Kats don't have a premade "carb rebuild kit" available -- you order parts individually as needed.
            Meanwhile, you need to treat the rust before you go any further, or it'll screw your new petcock and the carbs repeatedly. See: CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your motorcycle gas tank"

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the link on the rust in the tank. i will take care of that first. i can get the petcock locally for $118. i am going to start w/ that and ride it for a couple days and take it apart again to see if the gas is still getting in the air box. if it there is then i will resort to rebuilding the carb.
              it would be about $80 per carb. does that price sound correct?

Comment

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96553

And before purchasing all the parts inside the carbs, tear them down and verify what you need.

The carb cleaner listed in the link will help you alot on this endevor.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, the petcock assembly is about $90 mail-order (plus shipping), so figure that's $95...

The carbs, no clue what they'll need. If they need gaskets, float bowl bolts (the OEM ones typically get torn up because they are JIS instead of Phillips-head, although they look the same), I doubt it'll be $80 each -- try sending a PM to arsenic who rebuilds them as an out-service for a lot less than your expected $320 (= $80x4).

Meanwhile, if the tank has a lot of fine rust, you can end up screwing up the new petcock if you don't deal with the rust first... So, my advice would be:
                  Send the carbs to arsenic.
                  Order the petcock mail-order (through me or through another firm, save yourself some $$)
                  Get the POR-15 kit with some extra tank cleaner and strip & redo the tank properly while waiting for the carbs & petcock to come back.
                  That should put everything on your doorstep for reassembly about the same time the tank is done properly

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Last edited by The CyberPoet; 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for all the advice. i will try and get in contact w/ arsenic and you said that i could get the petcock from you? (cyberpoet) I would be ok w/ that. i want to order the petcock as soon as possible.

Comment

DON"T ride it till it's fixedor you will thin your oil down!
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        DON"T ride it till it's fixedor you will thin your oil down!
                        +1

Which equates to eating up the walls between the cylinder bores and the rings due to a lack of adequate lubrication...

I think you probably ought to just leave the oil drain open the whole time between now and when you're ready to put it all back together again -- removes the whole temptation to run it, AND lets as much bad oil out as physical possible...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet

PS - check your PM's for instructions on ordering the petcock through me.
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X