No announcement yet.
X

only getting 25 mpg!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definately check the airbox. Mine was getting bad mpg after a tip over. Not sure what happend, but after about 2 days and 200 miles (almost 2 tanks), it just died on a ride after about 2 miles. Got it home and after looking it over, found fuel in the airbox. pulled the oil plug and pulled out 8qts of liquid. Left the filter on, added 2qts of oil, ranlet it idle and drained it. Added 2 more and let it idle and drained that. Changed the filter and refilled to spec and been great ever since.
    "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

Originally posted by moscar45 View Post
      The previous owner (mambopalace in the for sale section) replced virtually every wear item.....except attending to the carbs since he thought they were good. He did not put more than a few miles ont he bike during the restoration if you can call it that. Should I put off riding it until I get it checked out?
      How long was sitting between his last ride and you buying it?
      Was it dropped at any point?

A float valve isn't that hard to get jammed if the bike fell over/went down, and they do go bad at times simply from age (accelerated by the alcohol content in modern fuels).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My bet is...

Gas is pouring out of the carbs into your cylinders... when it's running only since your petcock works... and your blowing gas out the tail pipe at little at a time.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Seems like you've found your answer already. Something is definitely up, regardless of your weight, and I'd have to say 87 Unleaded is the way to be.

Comment

Working...
          X