X

No fuel in carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fuel in carbs

Hello all. I have a 2006 kat 600 with 6000 miles on it. The bike cranks but wont run. I have fuel coming out of the petcock while I crank the bike but cant see any fuel in the fuel filter or in the carbs. Got any ideas on where to start trying to troubleshoot... Thanks
    Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Switch to prime if you're starting dry. If that still doesn't work, check the filters.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Thanks... I will give it a shot..... Update.... I moved the petcock to prime and no fuel in the carbs yet. If I crank the bike with the petcock set to on with the hose removed from the petcock that has the fuel filter on it , the fuel comes out of the petcock during the crank. But if I put the hose with the fuel filter back on the petcock and crank the bike there is no fuel getting into the fuel filter or carbs. BTW, where does the hose that has the fuel filter on it go to, it appears to go to the fuel rail that supplies the carbs with fuel.
      Last edited by CuttinCorners; 05-27-2009, 10:20 AM. Reason: Update
      Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Comment

Can you remove the fuel filter and see through the hose (It should only be 5-7 inches long)? If so, connect the hose back up and put the petcock to prime. If gas flows, connect the fuel filter and try again. If it doesn't flow now then you know its time to get a new fuel filter. I wouldn't imagine that it could be so dirty as to stop fuel flow, but maybe it is possible if there are tank rust issues. Wouldn't think a 2006 would be that bad though...
        -2000 "750"

Comment

I just replaced the fuel filter and still no fuel. I think that it might be vapor locked. I am going to try a few more things and let ya'll know what happens.

Comment

fluids dont flow well uphill. is the filter higher than the petcock or the hoses kinked when you set the tank down in place?
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

It is a gravity feed fuel system. No fuel pump - not sure what you mean by "vapor locked". (Edit: after a little research it appears that vapor lock can actually happen on gravity feed systems - who woulda thunk it)

If it comes straight out of the petcock when set to prime and but no gas gets to the fuel filter, I think it has to be that the little piece of fuel line between the two is clogged.

When I put my tank back together a week ago I found my petcock was clogged with a thin dry membrane created from evaporated gas. I little poke with a Q-tip and it was ok.
              Last edited by Cheriff; 05-27-2009, 12:55 PM.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Pull the fuel filter and put the end of the gas line into a small bottle or catch. Turn petcock to prime.
                If gas comes out, then switch back to on, and start adding more parts to your line... like the filter next, check it, then the next part of the line, etc...

If you have gas coming out of the lines all the way to the carb hook up, it's NOT your gas lines and filter.

Check your carbs.

Hook everything up, turn to prime, then using a small cut under to catch the gas, open the drain plug on the bottom of the first bowl. Check all 4. If all have gas that flows....

Then your bike is getting fuel, and your issue is something else.

If one or more of your bowls are not getting gas, then you need to pull and clean your carbs.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will try what is suggested. It is my friends Kat and he bought it used a month ago. It ran fine for the first couple of weeks, and then it would die while riding it. Now it won't even run. I have spark at the plugs and the coils are within the factory specs for the 2-4 ohms resistance. I just noticed this fuel issue last night. I will try what is suggested and get back with ya'll to let you know what happens. Later....

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I fixed the problem last night. One of the fuel lines coming from the tank to the carbs was bad. Replaced it and bam, started right up. Thanks again, later

Comment

Stupid thing is broken again..... Lovely....

Comment

Same problem or a new one?
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

Fuel filter on the 98+ needs to sit almost at the carb end of the fuel line, so that it is positioned vertically -- if it's horizontal in the flow, it'll form an air bubble and starve the bike for fuel.

The fuel line also needs to run down-hill the whole way, AND you need to ensure it's not getting kinked or squeezed when the tank is set down.

Depending on the age and exposure levels of the bike (lots of time outside), there are seals (O-rings) between the carbs on the fuel rail that can fail -- if they do, the carbs to the outside of the o-rings won't fuel properly, because air will come through when it expects fuel. The o-rings are cheap (use OEM ones -- they're a metric size you're not likely to find locally in the USA at the local hardware store), but a bit of a PIA to replace (because you have to get the carbs out to do it).

Totally unrelated, but possible -- if it runs then stalls out momentarily, the switch for the sidestand could be losing connectivity due to a weak side-stand spring (age) or an ovaled-out hole bolt for the side-stand pivot (usually due to a previous owner using the sidestand to rotate the bike around). Symptoms can be particularly annoying because it might only do it when he hits a bump or dip...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Same problem, Once it gets about 10-12 miles into the ride it just shuts off. I drove to where the bike shut off at and helped my friend do a road side service exam. There was fuel in the filter this time, so I am guessing it is electrical. Once the bike cools down it will run like nothing is wrong, but about 10-12 miles later... poof.... nothing. Just sits there cranking. The coils tested good when the bike is cold. Maybe the c.d.i. box. I'm lost....

Comment

Does it sputter out when it dies, or just cuts off?
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                              X