Basic Maintenance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Maintenance

What should I do to lube the chain?

How hard is it to change fork seals? (right is leaking from PO)

Where can I get replacement bolts for the fairings?

Thanks

Depends on whom you talk to .

I get bolts from hardware stores . They don't look the same , but they work just fine .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post

I get bolts from hardware stores . They don't look the same , but they work just fine .
      Md68
      "my answers are worthless"

Originally posted by mdmaro View Post

Thanks
      1. Clean it with kerosene. Then put either oil or wax... oil if you live near beaches, wax otherwise. Id do this.... clean with kerosene, ride your bike down the street and back, lube thoroughly, sit for 3 min, go ride.

2. Yes

3. Bike bandit, and HS2020 sells them too I believe...
      Last edited by IndyGunner; 05-26-2009, 12:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Now see , this is why I said .......
        I do not believe fork deals to be ALL trhat hard . I did one a few weeks ago .

Comment

Originally posted by mdmaro View Post

Thanks
          #1 Grab some Kerosene and a soft bristled brush. Warm the chain properly via a spin around the neighborhood. When you get back, get ready to get dirty and use the brush to clean the chain with the kerosene. One good thing to do while cleaning the chain is to check the rollers. The shiny things that come into contact with the sprocket between the teeth! Make sure they are free moving. Takes a bit of time, but ensures the jobs getting done correctly. Each roller should spin freely. If not, theres still crap stuck in them. Or rust. Depends on the state of your chain. A few times cleaning it will tell you if your making improvements or not.

Once the chain is clean(ed) to your satisfaction. Apply a proper chain lube meant for your type of chain. Most Kats have O-Ring chains and you want a lube thats appropriate for that. When you apply the lube, you just want enough to flow only on the rollers and side plates. Apply it a few links at a time if you don't have stands and allow it to soak in. Take a rag and wipe off the excess. Take the bike for another ride. You will get fling off, So expect to have oil on the edge of your tires, rims and swing arm. But don't panic. That rag you used to wipe off the excess kerosene is great for removing the extra lube from everyplace it flung to. Tho the rims might need a little waxing afterward. I clean and lube my chain regularly every 600 to 800 miles. Just good preventative maintenance.

#2 As for replacing the fork seals. This is a bit of a project. One that will require you to remove the fork from the bike. Its a bit involved if you don't have the tools at hand to deal with it. If you've never done it on a Kat prior, download the service .pdf or grab a service manual to give you an idea of whats involved to replace the fork seals. If you never attempted this on a bike prior, See the above manuals to inform yourself as to what it involves to replace them.

#3 HS2020 sells them I believe, Bikebolts too.
          Originally posted by Edbean View Post
          Md68
          "my answers are worthless"

1. Clean it with kerosene. Then put either oil or wax... oil if you live near beaches, wax otherwise. Id do this.... clean with kerosene, ride your bike down the street and back, lube thoroughly, sit for 3 min, go ride.

2. Yes

3. Bike bandit, and HS2020 sells them too I believe...
          And MD's answers were supposedly "worthless"? MD did a double quote hence why the same answer appeared twice.
          Last edited by Newbie2it; 05-26-2009, 02:00 AM.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I can do fork seals in my sleep. Of course I've done probably 50 of them. First time? Yes, it's hard.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              I can do fork seals in my sleep. Of course I've done probably 50 of them. First time? Yes, it's hard.
              Hey Chris,

LTNS, yeah my fault, havent been around much. Seals are a bit involved if you've never done them before. Mdmaro: Grab the .pdf or a manual to see whats involved.
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

bring the skoot across and we can do it in a day prolly.
                forkseals aint that tough. make sure you have at least a liter of 10w fork oil, and you can get seal/dust wiper sets from dennis kirk for $20. (DK ships next day, and should only take a day to arrive) seals and wipers may be a stock item there in mankato, or Leo's in the cities can get them in a week.

i have a whole jar of fasteners thanks to BlackPeter.

If you want to remove the chain to clean it you have to drop the swingarm, unless you have a clip style master link. it can be cleaned on the skoot, and i have all the stuff here to do it.

drop me a PM and we'll set up a time and day. i'm almost always around, and available. gots all the tools and such to take care of your list.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

allballs has some sweet deals on fork dust and seal sets
                  voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                  82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                  83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

To add to the questions....not meaning to butt into this thread...but no sense in creating a new thread

Just got a new chain...RK Gold....it came with the wax on it...

How long before I need to worry about the maintenence of lubing it?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monolith View Post
                      To add to the questions....not meaning to butt into this thread...but no sense in creating a new thread

Just got a new chain...RK Gold....it came with the wax on it...

How long before I need to worry about the maintenence of lubing it?
                      every 200 miles

Comment

Or so ....

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X