Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Crashed my bike today, think I need a new crank case?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed my bike today, think I need a new crank case?

Well it finally happened thanks to sand being at the right corner in the right place, I fell my bike skided about 15 feet there were sparks..but I think that is just from the rest bar which needs to be replaced. Now the thing that NEEDS replacing from what I can tell and I HOPE its only this. Its the silver type case to the bottom that says Suzuki on it..Im thinking its the crank case? its on the left hand side of the bike, it cracked and oil came gushing out...does it sound expensive?

go on ebay and find the part you need buy it and put it on, get a gasket for the motor, i have one if you want it ill sell it to you, and then just put a lil silicone on it and put it on and see if you get any leaks and if its expencive, it should be about 10 bux i think, get some pic's up of the bike if youcan

Comment

I'm not sure if you're talking about the starter cover or the engine cover, but brand new OEM parts (cover and gasket) from Ron Ayers would be just about 80 bucks for the starter cover, and 110 bucks for the engine cover.

FWIW.

e-bay may be your best option. Definately go with a new OEM gasket, though.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Gaskets are cheap, definately get a gasket, and if another member had one, I would snatch one from them for cheap. If its not the part that duffy has, check with special K, but he is at the gap for a while, so you would have to wait for it.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well I took it to the mechanic since I dont know much about bikes...turns out that something got bent in there so now.... he has to send it to a machine shop to get balanced and strightened and a new gasket and cover which he estimated to be about 3 1/2 hours of labor and a total of $570 which is close to the $450 tune up I just did....I hate when you cant tell if these ppl are ripping you off or not

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
            Well I took it to the mechanic since I dont know much about bikes...turns out that something got bent in there so now.... he has to send it to a machine shop to get balanced and strightened and a new gasket and cover which he estimated to be about 3 1/2 hours of labor and a total of $570 which is close to the $450 tune up I just did....I hate when you cant tell if these ppl are ripping you off or not
            Did he tell you the name of the "something" that was bent?

Well, you know the retail value of the gasket and cover...at the MOST it's $110. That's a labor rate of something like $130 an hour! It might have been cheaper to get a new part...

Anyway, you should ask again what got bent. A cover replacement is surely not a 3.5 hour book job. Maybe 1.5 (meaning that you could do it in 45 minutes, probably, start to finish).

So...by my calculations...that means your guy is spending 2 hours balancing the "something".

You should know what that thing is, since it's costing you around 200 bucks.

I'm telling you this to remind you that an accident is not just a bad thing...there is "good" in it. You get the chance to delve into the inner workings of your bike without the real risk of breaking anything...you already broke it!!

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Well I can ask him again tomorrow, if he is in I will get the name and parts. I mean if the engine cover cracked and all the oil came out does that mean anything is damaged in there?

Comment

Well I can ask him again tomorrow, if he is in I will get the name and parts. I mean if the engine cover cracked and all the oil came out does that mean anything is damaged in there?
                Not true as I had the same thing happen to me on my GS500 a while back. All I did was flush out the old oil and make sure there were no broken parts from the crank case inside. I fitted a new gasket and cover, filled it up with new oil and was back on the road in no time.

Tokalosh

PS I hate been ripped off!

Comment

Well he opened it infront of me used a screwdriver while it turned when he hit the start button then he was showing me how it wasnt "turning straight". So he then told me it may be pushed and needs repair or what ever. Unfortunitly I I know nothing about bikes so I am at his mercy

Comment

it cant hurt to take it to someone else and get another opinion

Comment

well the problem with that is I had to Tow the bike there and that cost me $60... I dont want to be towing the bike around and wasting money that way

Comment

I thinking whatever is "bent in there"
                        is way more then $570..
                        All I know that is behind the left case cover is the crank. Now if the crank is bent and he is going to repair it for $570 that sounds cheap!

A little too cheap...

Comment

well he said it would take 3 1/2 hours of labor and he was going to order 2 parts and send it to a machine shop to "balance it". I spoke to this guy in my area and he said he is proly bsin me and that he can do it for $300, all it would need is a cover gasket and oil. I mean I already paid him $450 for a tune up which included new sprokets, he said that who ever tightened the chain tightened it too much, which made sense because the person I purchased it from had it pretty tight. Anyways he says it bent the front sprockets because there was no room for the chain to strech when the bike went up and down. So he replaced the 2 front sprockets cleaned the carbs and did an oil change for $450. I mean it sounds like it makes sense...right?

Comment

ill go to my buddies this weekend and see what gasket i have i think its the large motor gasket ill get the part number and sent it to ya , pm me and let me know if you need it or not

Comment

well he said it would take 3 1/2 hours of labor and he was going to order 2 parts and send it to a machine shop to "balance it". I spoke to this guy in my area and he said he is proly bsin me and that he can do it for $300, all it would need is a cover gasket and oil. I mean I already paid him $450 for a tune up which included new sprokets, he said that who ever tightened the chain tightened it too much, which made sense because the person I purchased it from had it pretty tight. Anyways he says it bent the front sprockets because there was no room for the chain to strech when the bike went up and down. So he replaced the 2 front sprockets cleaned the carbs and did an oil change for $450. I mean it sounds like it makes sense...right?
                              ya....and I said in that post that it was not likely it bent the shaft from the chain being too tight. you mechanic likes to diagnose things as bent. if you don't want to tow the bike again, then do what you have to do, but be looking for a new mechanic once you are up and running. seriously, i almost think a deal is better than some of these mechanics. maybe the labor costs a bit more, but most dealers are legit. especially busy ones. their schedules are too full to be f'ing around with trying to screw you on labor.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X