X

Oil Leak... Head Gasket seems to have blown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak... Head Gasket seems to have blown

So, after about 15 minutes of my 25 minute ride with my father and his friend (father has an R1, his friend has a Harley), I look down on my 02' 600 Katana and see my left shoe has some oil on it...... so i look at the left side of my bike... I see oil down the side of it. Not much, but enough to notice and enough to spray onto my shoe. It was only on the left side fairing, from the bottom opening in it. Get home, take off the side fairing, we see where the gasket is and it seems that the oil came from there. Above it was clean, so our analysis is head gasket. I'm new to bikes but somewhat familiar with motors, so I figured some of you could chime in. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here you go. I downsized them, but left them at 800x600 so you could still see detail.

Also, I forgot to mention that the crank case cover damage in the first picture was done by the previous owner, not me.

Please help, thanks.
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM.
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

ProGrip||Scorpion

The first thing I would try is re torquing the head bolts. You can find a manual in the wiki.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I would certainly say your head gasket assumption is on the right track.

Comment

Thank you Steve and Chris so far, Chris you think it's definitely blown? or is it possible I can retorque the bolts and it would be fine?
        "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

ProGrip||Scorpion

Comment

Is it running crappy, or just weeping oil? If it's just weeping, then the gasket probably isn't "blown"
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It's running fine thus far, just a little oil

ProGrip||Scorpion

Comment

Retorque

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Working...
              X