X

Won't Idle below ~2300rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Idle below ~2300rpm

Hey guys, new here, new to street bikes in general actually.

I have a 94 katana 600 my friend gave me. It was running fine a year or two ago, and then stopped starting.

I fully cleaned the carbs, adjusted the air mix screws 2.5 out, as that seems to be the recommendation here. I also de-rusted the gas tank , fully cleaned it, etc.

Bike runs great if I set the idle to around 2.5k rpm maybe a little lower. as soon as i nudge the idle screw any further below this, it just drops down to dead.

What could cause this? It can idle at 2.5krpm all day and revs great., perfectly smooth everything. Just below that rpm it can't stay alive and then usually won't restart for a few minutes.

Your carbs are still dirty, check the pilot circuit.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

OK, carbs are off again and on the table in front of me. Which is the pilot circuit? That's the smaller of the two jets right?

I don't quite understand how this coudl still be dirty. Everything was soaked, and blown out with high pressure air. I will try again, but would like a little help on what I'm looking for..

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        Your carbs are still dirty, check the pilot circuit.

Run fishing line thru the pilot jets and reset your idle ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

I'll give it a go. thanks guys..

Comment

Well, damnit. I cleaned them again, used guitar string kind of wire on the pilot jets, and blew them out, could see out them fine. Wouldn't idle even from the start. It can still idle at 2500+ and then just dies. After running the for ~10 minutes, the left two (if sitting on the bike) cylinders exhaust pipes are much cooler than the right two.

Is there any way that the tuning of the mixture screws could be the problem? Maybe a half turn or so more out on the left two cylinders (more air)? Or maybe the opposite? I can kind of get it to stay idling if i bump the choke up just a hair as its about to die.

The only other things I can think of are a.) it might have a jet kit, the plunger thing has a c clip that is on the second groove from the end on all 4.. b.) there is nothing connected to the air inlets coming out of the top of the carbs (2 of them, between the carbs) but I understood if there is a jet kit these are not necessary, should they be plugged? and c.) the port on the right most carb, is a vacuum port that should go to the smaller hose that comes from the fuel valve, right?

Thanks for any help..

Comment

you might be too lean, if you have a jet kit, then that could be a problem. the a/f screws could help if you turn them out abit, thats what really sets your idle. the c clip on the main jets is really for half throttle to WOT. mess with the a/f screw a little see if it helps. if not check the boots on the head, air box, vacuum caps, you might be getting in extra air around there. hope this helps!
              Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Carbs in sync?

Comment

Well, I've yet to sync them I do not have a tool yet.. I did a base sync (just 2.5 out on each).

Isn't more turns out leaner? (More air)

Also, does this sound at all like it could be plugs or coils/wires? The plugs were replaced by my friend when it wouldn't start and looked unused (no deposits or discoloring at all, out of the package looking) so I left them. No idea on the age of the coils..

Vacuum caps (visually) seem fine and have all their clips.

Would this work to sync the carbs? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...#ht_3424wt_937
                  Last edited by yabo; 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by yabo View Post
                    Well, I've yet to sync them I do not have a tool yet.. I did a base sync (just 2.5 out on each).

Isn't more turns out leaner? (More air)

Also, does this sound at all like it could be plugs or coils/wires? The plugs were replaced by my friend when it wouldn't start and looked unused (no deposits or discoloring at all, out of the package looking) so I left them. No idea on the age of the coils..

Vacuum caps (visually) seem fine and have all their clips.

Would this work to sync the carbs? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...#ht_3424wt_937
                    a visual sync will get you close. those carb syncers in ebay are okay, but you can rent one from THE CYBER POET and its the super awesome cool carb sync too. the one everyone should have. more turns out= to more fuel. not more air. yes i know its backward from cars blah blah blah, but that i know for sure. i don't think the coils or plugs should affect your idle, but i have been wrong before. my head hurts, i need my coffee.....
                    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

wire and other metal objects are a MAJOR NO NO for cleaning jets. did you have to work at getting the wire thru the jet? if so you prolly enlarged the passage way more than intended and screwed up the jet. the hole is teeny tiny small and even the high E string from an ultralight guitar string set is way too fat. sorry buddy, but you may be buying new pilot jets before it will idle right
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

carb clean, carb sync, tune af screws, tune valves. Shell be running like new.

Comment

i'm having the same problem. i have a 1991 750f. i just got it a few weeks ago. doesnt idle under 2500 and it puts off a strong gas odor. did you ever get yours fixed?

Comment

what i noticed is turning the air screw to 1.75 turns out worked better for me. couldnt get it to idle at 2.25 or 2.50 turns

Comment

Working...
                            X