X

Fixing Broken Chain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Broken Chain?

Chain broke yesterday.. random person is offering to try to help "fix it" so I can at least get it back on the road before it goes to the shop...

Doesn't seem like a great idea to me.... Chain is probably old, and was poorly maintained... How is a chain "fixed" and won't it just break again?
    '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Have to agree with you. If a chain breaks it is time to get a new one.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

It depends on how/where it broke. If a clip style master link just came loose I suppose it could be put back together with another master link as long as the chain didn't suffer any other damage. If it is a case of putting it back on so you can limp it to a shop, then maybe its worth it. I would probably never trust it again though- maybe thats just me.
      -2000 "750"

Comment

Yeah... I'm going to go with my gut instinct on this one, and wait to take it in to the shop tomorrow... Don't want it to break again at higher speed/more dangerous situation... Thanks!
        Last edited by femmekat; 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM.
        '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Comment

Yeah if the clip master came apart, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to reconnect and take it too a shop. On the otherhand, if it broke because it was due, you definately don't want to do so. It's stretched beyond it's limit and when it snaps next time, you most likely won't be so lucky! Can cause all kinds of damage to the structure of your Kat!
          It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

If the "fix" is to get it to the shop... then I would say go for it, and be careful.

If he's intending that the "fix" is instead of getting a new chain.... go get a new one anyway.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
            X