Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Burning Oil, Not going into neutral, trouble starting when cold... (Ride #3)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that metal sheath with threads called the worm gear? Took pics, when I get home later will post them... If it is the worm gear, and that is cracked, safe to ride for a day or two or am I going to cut the cable?

Ok...so I looked at the pics from the tutorial on clutch adjustment, and what broke is the metal sheath that goes around the cable that the thumb screw goes around, where it threads into the handle.
    Last edited by femmekat; 05-24-2009, 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by femmekat View Post
      Is that metal sheath with threads called the worm gear? Took pics, when I get home later will post them... If it is the worm gear, and that is cracked, safe to ride for a day or two or am I going to cut the cable?

Ok...so I looked at the pics from the tutorial on clutch adjustment, and what broke is the metal sheath that goes around the cable that the thumb screw goes around, where it threads into the handle.
      Ok, so the sheath circled in blue is cracked, not the two pieces in red, right?

If that's the case, I think you're fine. That sheath serves to keep dirt and grime out. If it's the pieces in blue, then that's an issue. I cracked mine when my bike fell over once, I was on my way to work when they popped off and I lost all clutch control. That was bad, I'm lucky that I could pull over and stop.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

No, it is definitely the part in blue that cracked. Not the thumb screw itself, but the threaded metal tube that it goes around,which itself threads into the handlebar. I adjusted the thumbscrew so that it is grabbing a thread on either side of the break,and if I look through the windsheild, I can see about a 1/2 inch that is still threaded into the handlebar on the other side of the break. What is that part called that the thumbscrew twists over?

OOOPS, I meant the part in red, the part in RED is cracked.
        Last edited by femmekat; 05-24-2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        '91 Katana 600, my knight in shining armor, very well loved and going to be well used...sigpic

Comment

That is how it's suppossed to be, make sure the lock nut isn't in alignment with the other or you will fray the cable. That is slit like that to replace the cable.

If you are blowing white smoke still either your choke isn't disengaged, your fuel is contaminated, or your plugs are fouled from either of these.
          Last edited by kevin2502000; 05-24-2009, 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Well, to be fair, 30 minutes of neighborhood riding (<40mph) isn't the best for an air cooled engine. I bet it's just getting hot, my bike gets hot in congested areas too.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

check that the fluid in your battery is up to snuff. there are high and low marks on the battery the fluid should be between. if it's low, add ONLY distilled water, but be carefull, that's acid in the battery. put the battery on a trickle charger over nite 1/2 to 1 amp, no more. that will prolly help the starting. bikes dont like to run when batteries are low (below 10v)

it's almost impossible to NOT spill some oil when changing the oil and filter. i lay a layer of tin foil between the motor and exhaust pipes when changing oil to keep most of it off the pipes. remember to remove said tin foil before riding lol. btw, replace the little crush washer on the oil plug each oil change. it's only another buck from the dealer.

TheCyberPoet stocks plugs, filters (oil and air), and most cables and such for the Kat. his prices are good and he's simple to deal with. pop for the $5 magnet for your filter too while you're at it. just put the magnet on the new filter when you change them. helps trap more metal shavings and such they always get
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Ride #4

So, where it is cracked, not sure if that is the way it is supposed to be... Bike buddy said broken...I see the slit in it lengthwise, it is cracked straight up and down the other way (parallel with the thumb screw)..not sideways... So it is in two peices.

-------------------------------------------------------

Started up fine today, first try, neutral was a breeze, no smoke, and not running hot..
                So with a little bit of peer pressure, I decided to take the bike up to Boston, from the suburbs where I practiced for the first 3 rides...

And then, got stuck in a huge thunder and lightning storm, got soaked, cell phone got saturated, got seperated from my riding buddy, really busy live traffic with almost no visibility, and got lost, and THEN...the chain broke, in the ghetto.

What an adventure.. Fortunately it broke about 6 blocks from the bike shop, so it looks like it will be going in Tuesday when they open anyways, to replace the chain, and whatever else.

At least I know what to do when a chain breaks now... It isn't as scary of a prospect now that I've had it happen.

Thanks for all the great tips!
                Hopefully I will be back on the road soon...
                Last edited by femmekat; 05-24-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Ok, here's a pic of the suspicious "break"... It is vertical just to the right of the thumb screw....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes I see it and it IS broken. Those are cheap though. It broke because it wasn't threaded in enough, 1 or 2 threads is alot of stress for pulling on that clutch.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Got the clutch adjustment screw fixed, new chain, bike is running awesome. Put a couple hundred miles on it this weekend, first time I really got to ride, and boy are my ribs sore. Getting to know the bike better...Love the Kat.

Comment

femme I know exactly how you feel. a little while ago I bought my first bike (1990 katana 600) and I love it. it is such a beast for its age, but enough about that. I had the same feeling when I first got it (dont touch my bike). even if I went to a full service gas station, which I don't for that reason, I still would have to pump my own gas cause I dont want them to touch it! I have the same problem as you with getting it into neutral. it may just be cause our beasts are just getting too old for this stuff, but I find it easy to get it into neutral when im rolling. so if your coming up to a red light and want to put it into neutral I would suggest trying to put it in neutral when your going about 20mph to when your stopping (works for me). if I some how don't get it I will stop put it into 2nd gear and lightly tap on the lever(like as if I were nervous and my heel's off the peg) and gradually tap harder until I got it. I hope that helps. sorry I can't help you on the other parts cause im not familiar with wiring's on a bike, but I have an oil problem with mine too. for me i know it has something to do with my clutch push rod oil seal, so maybe you should check that. also not trying to be a weirdo but I noticed you were from Boston...(me too), and that kat looks nice. thanks for listening to all I had to say. hope I helped! I hope I see you on the rode some time in the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X