X

purpose of copper tube on side of carb body

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purpose of copper tube on side of carb body

In the process of cleaning my carbs I noticed that one of the tubes on the side of one carb body was loose to the point that I could actually pull it away from the carb. The tube is shaped like a large 'C'. What is this tube for, and how can I safely reattach it?

I can post pictures if necessary.

I have no idea what you're talking about, picture.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      I have no idea what you're talking about, picture.
      Holy crap Batman, Arsenic is stumped!
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

In this pic, if you look at the left side of each carb, there is a copper tube that runs from the middle left to the top left just under the cap. The one on the far left is very clearly able to be seen connecting to the carb body just above (and bit back from) the petcock vacuum hose.

Last edited by Kreylyn; 05-23-2009, 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling... webster is still a hack dead or not.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's for the choke . when you open the choke (enrichener) , a plunger retracts , and that's how the fuel gets from the bowl to the cylinder .
          However , if you have Ca carbs for some reason , they have copper tubes on the bottom for the emissions BS . If THOSE are loose , that's a vacuum leak which will need addressed ...
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I figured that's what he was talking about. Buy new carbs I have 0 clue how to fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              That's for the choke . when you open the choke (enrichener) , a plunger retracts , and that's how the fuel gets from the bowl to the cylinder .
              However , if you have Ca carbs for some reason , they have copper tubes on the bottom for the emissions BS . If THOSE are loose , that's a vacuum leak which will need addressed ...
              Kreylyn is on the money with the part I'm talking about.

If it's part of the choke MD, could I disconnect that carb from the choke linkage?

Could I tack the tube back in place with a two part epoxy?

I'd really hate to replace the whole carb body.

Comment

Aren't they just pressed fit into the carb body? Couldn't you just enlarge the end of the tube and force it back into place? And use some JB weld to keep it there?

Comment

I would think that would be fine

Comment

Cool, I do have some JB Weld. It does look like a press fit so maybe I can expand it a bit with a flange too and then spot tack it with JB Weld. Thanks much for the recommendations!

Comment

So what are you waiting for.......... go do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                        So what are you waiting for.......... go do it.
                        Well Kfreak, I mixed up a little bit of JB Weld two days ago and then applied it to the joint using the end of a toothpick. I just got back today from a work trip and I checked the JB Weld and it looks awesome. I should be firing the bike up this weekend after I get some parts in and get the carbs back on so we'll see how she holds together.

Comment

Good job. Keep us informed.

Comment

Working...
                          X