X

Seeking advice - 1993 Bandit 600 Complete Rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice - 1993 Bandit 600 Complete Rebuild

*Correction* It's a 2003 Bandit 600 Oops.

Hey folks, I'm coming to you guys for some advice on an endeavor of mine. I've recently come across a guy in my area who's getting rid of a Suzuki Bandit 600 in great shape, but with no title. I'm going to attach a copy of his craigslist page, which will make more sense. http://centralmich.craigslist.org/mcy/1177405737.html

So basically, the original owner laid the bike down at slow speed and did some repairable damage to the bike and filed a claim, rendering the bike totalled. The current owner bought all the parts to fix the bike and has it in almost perfect running and cosmetic condition, as you can see from the pictures on the page. Because of the lack of title, I'd need to transfer the parts to another frame, which the current owner has already purchased. It's a Georgia frame with a salvage title. I live in Michigan. He's asking 2700 dollars for the bike but said he'd consider a trade for my Katana and some cash. The Katana is a 1993 GSX600f with 16,000 miles in absolutely wonderful cosmetic and running condition. I'm certain I could get about 2000 for it in the area where I live. What is a reasonable offer for the Bandit in terms of the Katana and cash? Bandits with less miles minus the title problem are currently going for about 2700 actually, so I don't know how much this dillema should account for in terms of money. I offered him the Katana plus 300 dollars. I don't know if you guys have any experience with title transfers and what not. Is there anything specific I should look out for or consider?

As far as the mechanical switchover is concerned, is this a drastically extensive job? I have a friend who went to Wyotech and is willing to help me. I just don't want to get halfway through the process and realize that I needed to buy certain parts to make the change or am lacking a special tool. All advice and comments would be appreciated. I'm attaching what he wrote to me in an email, for you guys to read too.

"I'm definitely interested in the Katana, I'll send some more pics for you to take a look at. All you have to do is make a list of the components used, & where they came from.(which I have for you) Plus the Bill of Sale, & the Georgia Salvage Title along with local law enforcement inspection and present it to the S.O.S. office where they forward the information to an investigator. A temporary tag will be issued for 30-60 days until the inspection of the bike is performed at which time a new VIN will be assigned which he affixes to the frame. Pretty easy for the most part, just a little time consuming. Because Progressive Insurance scrapped the Original Title instead of issuing a Salvage Title you can not reuse the existing frame even though there isn't a thing wrong with it, so it only comes with a Bill of Sale. Let me know if I can answer any more questions or if you want some more pics of the bike."

Thanks a lot guys. All the best to you.
    Last edited by vbrines; 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM. Reason: Wrong description.

Can't you get a bandit 600 with a clean title for around that price anyway? Just seems like a lot of hassle for a bike thats not going to be much better than your Kat. IMHO.
    Semper Fi
    1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Well, I figured an even trade + $300 dollars would amount to about $2300. I don't know if I could get a 2003 Bandit 600 for $2300. It is 10 years newer has 6000 less miles, in immaculate shape.

I guess it all depends on how much a clean title is worth... Would you consider it a risky or a deadend proposition?

Comment

You can swap the motor in, but none of the other parts.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          You can swap the motor in, but none of the other parts.
          What do you mean Steve?

Comment

So your plan is to swap the bandit components over to the katana?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I believe he's stating he want to trade his katana and some cash, for a Bandit + a another Bandit frame. Once the trade is done, he will need to swap all the parts off the full bike over to the other bandit frame to have a bike that could be titled.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Exactly. Do you guys have any pointers.

Comment

Take your time, note where every little bolt goes, and get a manual.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                  X