X

Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

ok im getting about fed up with my 98 kat. Yesterday she road fine all day and then for some reason last night she died on me on the expressway and wouldnt turn over. Any ideas?? I i cant figure it out i hate to say it but shes gone.
    pveity = 100%

Start with simpler stuff...

Is the battery working well (check voltage, headlight looks bright)?

Check you're in neutral or kickstand is up?

All fuses look good?

When you push the starter, what's the change in battery voltage?

Comment

did it spit sputter and die? fuel. did it just up and quit dead? electrical
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
        did it spit sputter and die? fuel.
        pveity did say it wouldn't turn over. Unless that's wrong and it would turn over but not start, I don't think it could be just fuel.

Comment

Ok i just went outside and tried to start it and it fired rite up so whats going on its not the battery or fuses..When i was riding yesterday i could feel it loosing power so i pulled to the side of the road..it didnt sputter it just felt like it was loosing power..then it died completly..got it home and this morning it started so whats wrong with my baby?????? Help me !!!
          pveity = 100%

Comment

secure battery connection??

Comment

petcock or petcock vacuum hose may need to be replaced/rebuilt

try running it on Prime for a while. if it runs ok you found your problem
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Could also be the CDI module cutting out on a thermal overload.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                  Could also be the CDI module cutting out on a thermal overload.
                  I was thinking heat as well but he was on the expressway. Dwindling performance then spit sputter and die sounds like overheating. But if it just cut off, I bet it's the kickstand switch. Check that stupid thing and see what's up.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    petcock or petcock vacuum hose may need to be replaced/rebuilt

try running it on Prime for a while. if it runs ok you found your problem

+1

The fact that it lost power but ran, sounds more fuel related than electrical.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

not the kickstand im thinking that it is either overheating somehow or not getting gas for some reason im no machanic so i guess im going to be forced to take it to the shop...which really sucks (broke college student u know) but thanks you guys for the help its really appreciated..
                      pveity = 100%

Comment

the obvious fuel question, did it have enough gas in it to run with the petcock in the "on" setting? 5 gallon tank, prolly 3 gallons usable with the petcock "on". what was your fuel gauge reading? (even tho they're notoriously inaccurate) Before you flame me or get indignant, there have been plenty of threads where the owner had just run the skoot below the petcock's ability to draw when "on", not prime or reserve. btw, with the skoot on the kickstand, the gas level at the petcock filter is higher than with the skoot upright and level which would account for it starting fine the next day after being parked.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                        X