X

Smoked my fuel gauge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked my fuel gauge

Ok, last year my battery was on it's last legs so I started my bike with the battery charger still attached. It actually worked, but in the process I think I killed my fuel gauge since it just sits at "E" now. The rest of the electronics are fine (turn signals, brakes, lights, etc).

Is it more likely that a wire is shorted or that the gauge itself is shot? Is there any way to use a multimeter to test the fuel gauge?

I don't think starting the bike with the charger attached did any damage. Had the amps been too high the fuse would have blown. I haven't been able to figure out how to test those units. I do know they need to be in the tank and mounted to work properly. I would buy a known good unit and save a headache of trying to test it. Then if it doesn't work you KNOW it is something else and have a good one as a spare. (they go bad ALL the time)
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

you should be able to jump the wires to the sending unit and if the gauge goes all the way over that means the gauge is good and it's your sending unit.
      2k6 Kat factory blue and white, lowered, mesh mod, shovel chopped, polished clutch and brake levers,V&H ss2r slip on, home made intagrated tail light, polished lips, 8k hid's and Joe's 40 led kit. All done by me learned from Katriders thanks.

Comment

The manual you can download from the site has a testing method in it. Never done it myself, just remember flipping past the illustrations.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

How would I get to the manual that showed how to test the fuel guage and/or sensor. Mine has never worked.
          Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            I do know they need to be in the tank and mounted to work properly.
            I tested my spare by holding it in hand, hooked up, power on, move the float up and down slowly, and watched the gauge do the same...

What are the issues that they must be mounted to test them?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

link to manuals

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                I tested my spare by holding it in hand, hooked up, power on, move the float up and down slowly, and watched the gauge do the same...

What are the issues that they must be mounted to test them?

Krey

I don't know exactly, I had 3 that wouldn't work so I put in the one I had just bought that was said to be good. Works fine now but wouldn't work as you described. I figured it had to be a grounding issue.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Tech View Post
                  you should be able to jump the wires to the sending unit and if the gauge goes all the way over that means the gauge is good and it's your sending unit.
                  Good reference Truck Tech. Here's the steps out of the manual:

Fuel gauge
                  Remove the seat and the right frame cover.
                  Find the black/white and yellow/black wires that
                  run to the fuel level sender and disconnect them.

Connect the wires in the harness side of
                  the connector to each other with a short
                  length of wire and turn on the key. The gauge
                  should move to the Full position. If the
                  gauge doesn't indicate Full, check the wiring
                  to the gauge for a break or bad connection. If
                  the wiring is good, the gauge is probably

defective.

Last edited by CT_KAT; 05-23-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

you could also hook up a multi meter set to ohms to the leads from the fuel sender, reach into the tank (tank almost empty works best) with a stiff wire with a little hook bent on the end and catch the arm of the fuel level float. move the float up and down watching the meter. the resistance should change along with the movement of the float
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                    X