X

super tight clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super tight clutch

it is extreamly hard to pull my clutch leaver. when i pull it it actually flexes the sprocket cover.

i have checked and cleaned everything behind the cover and everything checks out ok.

someone said i should check the clutch adjustment screw. is that the little thing behind the rubber cap on the outside of the sprocket cover that is on the opposite side of the leaver arm which pushes the rod into te
    the clutch springs?

someone also said i may have super tight clutch springs. how could that be? i dont think they a have been changed out, but if so how do i check them? is it hard to check? and how do i check?

thanks

Have you inspected the cable itself for frays or binds? Just a thought as it happened on mine as well b-4
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

It could also be your clutch basket... notches worn into the fingers can/will make the clutch pull VERY hard.
      if you find you bike cluncks into 1st gear when cold or first started then that is one issue you have.

When was the last time you greased the pushrod cam under the sprocket cover?
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
        Have you inspected the cable itself for frays or binds? Just a thought as it happened on mine as well b-4
        i have looked at the cable briefly and it looks ok. on my bike i can see most of the cable because after it leaves the clutch leaver and goes between the forks into the bike it comes out and travels down the side of the bike. i dont see any kinks or rust but all i can see are the two ends that are not covered by that black cover.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        It could also be your clutch basket... notches worn into the fingers can/will make the clutch pull VERY hard.
        if you find you bike cluncks into 1st gear when cold or first started then that is one issue you have.

When was the last time you greased the pushrod cam under the sprocket cover?
        yeah i have noticed it clunking into first at times. but i adjusted the clutch adjustment screw on the outside of the sprocket cover and it shifts smoother now but it is still hard to pull the leaver. . . its better but still hard.

how do i check the clutch basket to see if it is worn?
        Last edited by thadude-who-wrestles; 05-22-2009, 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

sticky clutch

Originally posted by thadude-who-wrestles View Post
          i have looked at the cable briefly and it looks ok. on my bike i can see most of the cable because after it leaves the clutch leaver and goes between the forks into the bike it comes out and travels down the side of the bike. i dont see any kinks or rust but all i can see are the two ends that are not covered by that black cover.

yeah i have noticed it clunking into first at times. but i adjusted the clutch adjustment screw on the outside of the sprocket cover and it shifts smoother now but it is still hard to pull the leaver. . . its better but still hard.

how do i check the clutch basket to see if it is worn?
          Try detatching the cable at both ends and free handing it thru the cable jacket itself. There very well may be a fray inside that you just can not see. As far as a basket inspection.... Its something you got get dirty for to truley inspect. Pull the clutch cover off and disassemble your clutch plates from the basket. inspect the basket fingers for any types of grooves or notches that would prevent the plates from operating smoothly. Some times you can luck out by using a light file to remove any burrs till a suitable replacment can be found. just try not to remove too much material from the basket itself. good luck!
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
          X