X

Gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank

I rode my 97 katana 600 to work this morning and had no problems. At lunch I was going for a ride and my leg felt wet. I pulled over to look into it and the gas tank is ****ing gas all over the under side of my leg. There seems to be a couple pin size holes in the gas tank, they are not on a seam but on one of the lower bends.
    How do I fix a tank with small holes in it?

a temporary fix can be done by draining the tank, then removing the paint from around the area of the hole, clean with brake parts cleaner, and cover the hole with JB weld. Let it harden overnight before putting gas back in the tank, and using it again. I had to do that to my tank last spring, and it lasted a year before the gas finally softened up the JB Weld enough to start seeping again. Just did it again last week, and it's holding again for now. For a more permanent repair, some welding/fabrication shops can fill the empty tank with inert gas (non flamable), and weld the holes closed. You might want to see about buying some POR-15 for it and sealing the tank from the inside after following the instructions for prep/rust removal, otherwise you will most likely find more holes fairly soon.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

The best option for a long term repair once a metal tank has holes in it....

Have it throughly cleaned of all rust inside. Weld the pinholes, grind smooth. Pressure check to make sure no other pin holes exist. Weld as needed to fix.

Once all holes are fixed and you now have a solid tank again, coat the inside with Por-15. This will prevent any future issues with that tank.

If you are going to a back yard welder, make sure they don't try to weld the tank unless it is submerged fully in water, or has been completely and thuroughly cleaned of all residual gas.... but then I'd still submerge it....

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Personally, if it's rusted through, IMHO, the right answer is to replace it.

Although you can weld or braze it back to reasonable where ever the rust has eaten all the way through, there's always the possibility (probability) that there's another spot just getting ready to rust through (being held in by the paint basically) -- and if you ever spill it, even in a parking lot drop, that tank may split like a ripe watermelon. Needless to say, a crotch fire is no fun at speed either.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Personally never cared for fire crotches myself.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          . Needless to say, a crotch fire is no fun at speed either.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Last edited by kevin2502000; 05-20-2009, 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I had the same problem with mine a couple years back and couldn't find a cheap, good tank. So I took mine to a radiator shop close to me and had them coat the inside of it. They guarentee'd it wouldn't leak anymore, plus it would stop any rust from forming in the tank as well as seal up any small pin holes that were forming. Only cost like $75 and I havn't had a problem yet. Of course the best way to fix the problem is exactly what CP said.... Replace the tank.
            94 600 With a GSX-R 1100 engine. Stretched, lowered. Air shifter, Nitrous, Who knows what next...

Comment

Does anyone know a source to replace the tank?
              Crotch fire was the thought that went through my head, after stopping and finding out it was gas. Not something I want to do, the smell of burning hair really bugs me.

Comment

Arsenic (maybe), any dealership, eBay, craigslist.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

LOL was working at a body shop getting ready to fix a tank had everything set up one thing left to do rinse the tank before I started my smart *** boss pops by my work station, see him talk to the guy in the next booth for a second then he grabs the tank throws it on the ground grabs the stud gun and proceeds to weld a stud to the tank as soon as it hit temp a nice 5 foot flame came out the tank and melted half his hair as soon as I realized he was fine and just needed a hair cut I almost ****ed myself I laughed so hard
                  and said to him what I knew he came to my booth to say to me "you done yet" not sure why but he didnt find it funny

As for the tank I would personally source a replacement in better shape even done right the chances of the rust coming back is pretty good. And if a replacement isn't an option take the time to inspect it make sure you get it all the first time

Comment

Working...
                  X