X

stays at 3 - 4k

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stays at 3 - 4k

just swapped out carbs from a 92 to a 93 600. took jet kit out and got rid of the K&N and put it back together. When I took jet kit out carbs were very clean on inside. After puting back together and adjusting idle so it would run without choke, it idled great. While riding I would rev bike up to about 4k then shift. After shifting the throttle would sometimes stay at 4k for about 2 seconds then GRADUALLY go down. Other times would feel like driving an automatic on cruise control. It wouldnt drop below 4k until I slowed down to a point where it would almost stall. Then with clutch engaged it would jump all the way back up to 4k and stay.

Any suggestions as to why it is not dropping off once throttle is disengaged? Did not do this with jet kit and K&N installed. I also set A/F screws down to 2.5 turns out. They were at 4.5, 5, 4.5, 4 form left to right.

And why once choke is engaged ( only after running for about a minute ) does it rev back up?
    1992 katana 600 sold to Luke
    1993 katana 600 sold
    Bandit 1250 2007

Main idle setting?

carb synch out?

vacuum leak?

sorry man, maybe more info would help.

Comment

Throttle cable binding...

Check to see if the RPM's rise at idle if you rotate the steering all the way to the right -- if so, it's the cable (too tight, needs lube or needs replacement).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I made sure not to bind it had that problem on my 92. It doesnt rev up when bars turned left or right.

Before I took out jet kit the bike ran very rich. When bike would warm up it would die at every stop, and would not idle for crap. It ran great cold but like crap when warm, after reading all the posts on here first two steps were always
        1. Take out K&N and jet kit
        2. Clean carbs
        Last edited by plyhockey3; 05-19-2009, 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1992 katana 600 sold to Luke
        1993 katana 600 sold
        Bandit 1250 2007

Comment

The next obvious answer is a sticking butterfly, a vacuum leak or a sticking choke cable.
          Sticking butterfly: clean the springs between each carb, optionally lube with some spray silicone.
          Choke cable: disconnect and test bike without it.
          Vacuum leak: get out some flammable aerosol (WD40 for example) and with the engine running, spray around the various fittings -- if the engine RPM suddenly changes, you found it. Make sure you check the airbox drain tube to ensure it's connected and sealed on the far end (capped for the 98+, folded & clamped for pre-98's).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i just got done beating my head onna wall workin on a '90 1100 kat that has a DynoJet stage 3 jet kid and K&N individual pods. first off the guy told me it was a stage 1 kit, and the A/F screws were set at 1.75 #1, and 2.25 for 2,3,&4. it refused to idle down, hold steady, and absolutely would not sync. Sweet Lou was kind enough to bust his hump trying to straighten it out without success. After playing 20 questions the owner finally remembered it was a stage 3 kit, and that he'd out he'd drilled out the pilot air jets (the ones on the top under the diaphram). the kit had kat ONLY specific instructions to drill the pilot air jets, and set the A/F screws to 4.5 turns if the bike had idle problems.

from what you describe, i bet the PO drilled the pilot air jets larger and it was a stage 3 kit. either put the jet kit and pods back in and set the a/f screws to 4.5 turns, or replace the pilot air jets with stock, and check the main jets and needles as they're bound to not be stock either. (example : the 1100 has 132's, where stock is 110 for 1&4& 112.5 for 2&3)

Also make sure the pilot jets, and the pilot circuit itself is squeeky clean. the jet, and them passages are VERY tiny and plug easily.

even Arsenic was stumped and blaming the pods untill the owner fessed up to the extent of the mods
            Last edited by DumbLuck; 05-19-2009, 01:51 AM.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
              even Arsenic was stumped and blaming the pods untill the owner fessed up to the extent of the mods
              You know the old programmer's saying: garbage in, garbage out. If you give us insufficient/inaccurate info, the answers will garbage

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                You know the old programmer's saying: garbage in, garbage out. If you give us insufficient/inaccurate info, the answers will garbage

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                exactly, and well put. That statement was in no way a knock on Arsenic. a drilled jet is not something obvious, or easy to spot either
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                X