Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What is this plug in the carb for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is this plug in the carb for?

    What's the purpose of the plug over the idle jet? Should they be a tight or loose fit? It seems odd to me to 'plug' the opening to the jet.

    Here's a pic from the microfiche...
    http://photobucket.com/CT_KAT_carb

  • #2
    Pretty new to this, but I just took mine apart, so I've seen it recently. If you look closely (not at the fiche), there is a small hole in the side of that tube, which I think leads to the main jet. Presumably, fuel is sucked through the main jet into its little tube, some of which can then be sucked through the small passageway to the pilot jet's tube. The rubber plug would prevent the fuel from leaking back into the bowl, allowing the starter jet to suck fuel in.

    Just my theory, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
      Pretty new to this, but I just took mine apart, so I've seen it recently. If you look closely (not at the fiche), there is a small hole in the side of that tube, which I think leads to the main jet. Presumably, fuel is sucked through the main jet into its little tube, some of which can then be sucked through the small passageway to the pilot jet's tube. The rubber plug would prevent the fuel from leaking back into the bowl, allowing the starter jet to suck fuel in.

      Just my theory, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.
      Thanks Paul, that sounds pretty reasonable. In that case, the plugs are probably there just so you can service the jet. That also leads me to believe they should be a tight fit. Can anyone else weigh in?

      Comment


      • #4
        They need to be tight enough to prevent fuel flow past them which isn't very tight at all. They're there so you can access the jets which get their fuel flow through the small passage in the body, not directly from the bowl. As long as they'll stay in place they'll do.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

        17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          They need to be tight enough to prevent fuel flow past them which isn't very tight at all. They're there so you can access the jets which get their fuel flow through the small passage in the body, not directly from the bowl. As long as they'll stay in place they'll do.
          Awesome Bill, thanks. I have one that is loose enough to just drop out without one of the arms from the float there to keep it in. They're cheap enough that I may just stop at the Suzuki shop and pickup a replacement. I'm afraid some of the rubber parts have shrunk since the bike is 10+ years old and wasn't ridden for almost 6 years before I got it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just on GPs, if you have to replace one I'd go ahead and replace all 4. Same thing goes for o-rings.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

            17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Just on GPs, if you have to replace one I'd go ahead and replace all 4. Same thing goes for o-rings.
              Yeah, I already did all the O rings because they were dry or cracked.

              There's also what looks like a plastic washer on the slide guide. Not where the emulsion tube goes into the slide guide, but where the slide guide fits into the carb body. Are these supposed to be soft and pliable or hard and firm?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CT_KAT View Post
                There's also what looks like a plastic washer on the slide guide. Not where the emulsion tube goes into the slide guide, but where the slide guide fits into the carb body. Are these supposed to be soft and pliable or hard and firm?
                Is it the black o-ring between the slide guide and the carb body? http://www.blinkenbyte.org/misc/gsx6...lide_guide.jpg

                Or one of the plastic washers on the jet needle? (only one in the picture, the second would go on the other side of the clip, and seat down inside the slide) http://www.blinkenbyte.org/misc/gsx600f_jet_needle.jpg

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                  Is it the black o-ring between the slide guide and the carb body? http://www.blinkenbyte.org/misc/gsx6...lide_guide.jpg
                  Hi Paul, it's the first one which is the o-ring between the slide guide and carb body. Mine are thin and rigid which made me think they were maybe washers and not O-rings.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CT_KAT View Post
                    Hi Paul, it's the first one which is the o-ring between the slide guide and carb body. Mine are thin and rigid which made me think they were maybe washers and not O-rings.
                    Hmm, I thought they were some kind of o-ring, but I don't know for sure. Mine were rather flat as well, but I don't see it listed as a separate part on the microfiche (seems to consider the carb body and slide guide as a single component).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      # 7 o-rings from Lowes! They're like $3 for 10.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

                      17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        # 7 o-rings from Lowes! They're like $3 for 10.
                        Wow, if those are supposed to be O rings then mine are in serious trouble! They're flat as a pancake and kind of rigid. Is that from wear, or are the O rings just an acceptable substitute?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          They're supposed to be o-rings. One of the issues with Suzuki seems to be that o-rings get squashed pretty bad no matter where they are. The ones sealing the rear oil pipes to the valve cover are supposed to be replaced every time you unbolt them and they need it. The ones between my intake boots and heads were so flat that I thought they were just raised sections molded into the boots. I thought they might be leaking (spent about a year searching out minute vacuum leaks and fixing them in between a lot of commuting) so I pulled them and ended up sealing them with permatex. Seemed to work but the next time I had them off I looked at them in some better light and realized my mistake.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

                          17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            They're supposed to be o-rings. One of the issues with Suzuki seems to be that o-rings get squashed pretty bad no matter where they are.
                            If you have a minute, take a look at this picture. The rings are at the top above the slide guides. You can see now why I thought they were washers.

                            http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=DSC05639.jpg

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wow, that is a dirty emulsion tube. My o-rings weren't quite that bad, but they were pretty flat. I replaced them with an o-ring I had in a large metric kit I bought from Harbor Freight. A little thick, but I tightened the main jet down and it looks good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X