X

Break in procedure

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in procedure

I just finished rebuilding the engine (went all the way down to the piston rings and replaced those as well) of a 1993 katana 750. I was wondering if there is a break in procedure i need to follow when i turn it on? Thanks for you time.
    kyle

Comment

Ride it like you normally would, just don't keep the rpms constant.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah , pretty much . But don't bounce off the redline right away .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
          Yeah , pretty much . But don't bounce off the redline right away .....
          This is something I've only heard through the grapevine, so bare with me. I heard that Kawasaki runs each bike they make on a dyno right after it rolls off the line, and if you call whoever it is you're supposed to with your VIN # they will send you a copy of your bike's first breaths
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

One important caution is, don't ride at one steady rpm for extended time and try to avoid sustained high rpm. Heat is also an enemy, so stay out of traffic jams and long stop lights on summer days. There in San Luis you are near some nice winding long roads. Go for a few rides through the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              Ride it like you normally would, just don't keep the rpms constant.
              +1
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

for like the first 20 miles, ride it like you stole it. I was a dealer tech at one time. The dealer does a per delivery test ride. That's why you never see a bike with 0 miles on it. My test ride was 4 miles. I used to take ever gear to red line. I did not hit the rev limiter, but I wasn't easy on the engine. During break in, the point is to seat the piston rings HARD, if your easy on it, your rings will never seat hard and you will always have lower compression.

Comment

Working...
                X