X

fuel filter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel filter?

I have searched and searched on the forums and on the bike and cant find a part number for a new fuel filter. My 00 Kat 600 does have a fuel filter doesnt it?

Also I am changing the oil and air filter. I read the owners manual and the mobile 1 4t at autozone doesnt have the SF spec but the 4 stroke valvoline does. Is valvoline a good motorcycle oil. Or is mobile 1 w/o the SF spec ok to use?

and oh yeah brakes are freakin exensive for these bikes well EBC brakes anyway.
    2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

ok I found the fuel filter. does anyone have the fuel filter part number? and also do I have to use suzuki chain oil or is there a sub I can use.
    2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

Comment

Originally posted by amazinkat View Post
      ok I found the fuel filter. does anyone have the fuel filter part number? and also do I have to use suzuki chain oil or is there a sub I can use.
      Fuel filter old part number: 15410-19E00

Fuel filter new part number: 15410-19E10

For the chain oil, just use whatever motorcycle chain lube you like. I have used chain wax and regular chain lube.

Chain wax isn't as messy since it does not fling off.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

hey guy , i clean my chain 2 times a year i dont use wax for lube dont like the cake look on it . i brush it clean with trans fluid. wipe it blow with commpressed air then i use maxama chain lube about every 400-500 miles . every one uses something differant . heavy gear oil is great too ..............my 2002 -kat 600 i starting using Castrol RS R4 get it at cyclegear for $7.85 qt. but my other choise is mobil 1 because its easy to get anywhere

Comment

cool thanks guys!! one more question my book says the NGK CR9EK is the plug but I do alot of short distance riding so what is the iridium plug alternative number.

Comment

NGK CR9EIX is the iridium plug

Comment

NGK-CR9EIX, CYBER POST sells them- the org. NGKcr9ek

Comment

thanks alot guys

Comment

Stay away from the cheap Champion Chain lube they sell at Walmart. It leaves a waxy white buildup on the chain that looks awful. I cleaned it off right away and bought a can of Motul Road. It goes on clear and is a little bit sticky so it really coats the metal. So far I have not had any problems with it.

Comment

Dont use the valvoline in these engines. I used to run it and the bike would burn it off in a few weeks time. When it got hot you could smell it breaking down and burning off. I thought my motor was shot because of it, but I then changed to an oil with a higher max temp and it completely took care of the problem.
                    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
                      Dont use the valvoline in these engines. I used to run it and the bike would burn it off in a few weeks time.
                      Really ? That's what I use (the one with the pitcher of the moorsickle on the front) . Have for almost as long as I've owned the bike . NEVER had a problem burning it off .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Weird. I used it for the first several oil changes on mine and whenever my friends followed behind me in their cars they said they could smell me a good half mile away. Changed brands and never had another issue. Of course, not knowing the history of my engine maybe I'm covering up an actual problem thats not oil related. I believe I've read here that valvolines got the lowest flash point out of almost all the oils out there, but look around since I cant find it anymore..

I'm not saying its crap oil, but it definitely didn't work for my bike. Maybe its old and worn, but it'd seriously burn oil QUICK and would need a half quart every few gas tanks. Let me run to the garage and find what I switched to. It was the cheapest stuff autozone had just to test if it was just a valvoline thing.

Looks like Castrol 4T is the current oil. Next I'll probably go with the tried and true Mobil 1.

To add to that, keep in mind the ambient temperature in AZ may have at least a little to do with it. I'm still searching for where I read that about valvolines temp rating. If you find it before I do please post the link, I'd like to read it again to be sure I'm not crazy...
                        Last edited by TheSteve; 05-18-2009, 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

This stuff .

By md86 at 2009-05-17
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, thats the same. Same weight and packaging

So far, this is the only mention I can find of a similar issue. Link:

In one of the posts a Katana rider mentions the oil light coming on briefly during extended hot rides. I'm still searching for hard numbers though.

Here we go, a decent link. Check out the whole thing if you've the time, but definitely look at pages 16 and 17 as they deal specifically with evaporation and thermal breakdown.

I'm sure its not completely unbiased since it is an amsoil publication, but I don't really see them skewing the "lower tier" oils. I might challenge their findings among their direct competition if I was researching mobil 1, royal purple, etc.
                            Last edited by TheSteve; 05-18-2009, 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

For oil I use the castol evt-evo 4t works good. For chain lube I use the Dupont Multi Use Lube. See review on it here

Love this lube and it doesn't sling off
                              If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X