X

Pump Gas??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump Gas??

Has anyone ever had any trouble with overheating from running a higher octane fuel? The owners manual says to use 87 but my bike has run on 93 since it was new with no overheating issues. I am more curious if anyone has run a higher than pump gas octane without overheating.
    - 04' Kat 600 (my reliable bike)
    - 01' R6 (my fun bike)
    - 00' Cavalier (my POS daily driver)

Use the search tab... this thread has been done 1273498273947293847298374928374 times.

Kats are low(er) compression engines made to run 87 fuel. Higher octane doesn't mean better performance or better cleaning... it means more anti-nock agents. Your bike doesnt need those as it is not a performance car and/or SS bike.

p.s. where in indiana?

Comment

Regular is just fine.
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I was doing alittle test before I tear her done for winter modding. And it was to see if there was a MPG difference between 87 or 93. But I didn't get enough data to really see a difference. But the performance between the 2 I never could tell the difference. I ran 100 Low Lead once it just smell really good thats about it tho.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014
        Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

if you're going by smell, then no offense, but you're a bit of an idiot.

The sweet smell would be the tetraethyl lead. Low or not, it's still there. The romans used to use Lead acetate as a sweetener and put it in their wine and food.

Unless you have engine knock, you dont need high octane. Ever.

EVER. That's all its for. It doesnt burn better, it doesnt have more power stored in it, NOTHING. It's the exact same hydrocarbon through and through. You want different performance, you try mixes- like nitrous which supplies more oxygen, Methyl hydrate or ethyl alcohols which burn hotter, hell- you could even go to an airstrip and buy jet fuel. But pump gas is the same crap over and over again, all the additives do is increase the flashpoint to prevent spontaneous combustion from high compression ratios.

That's why next time you see some snot nosed loser pumping octane 94 into his prelude, you feel free to slap him across the head with everything you have. It's not fancy, and you're not babying your vehicle- they offer those octanes because some vehicles genuinely need them, and the rest foolishly waste their money on a fuel that has a history of being bad for catalytic converters.

If you have extensive mods, or a ferrarri, its a different story.
          charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

[QUOTE=Rangerx52;1719651]if you're going by smell, then no offense, but you're a bit of an idiot.

QUOTE]

ACTUALLY I do take ALITTLE offense. Reason WHY i ran 100 LOW LEAD is becuz I work on Airplanes for a living so access to 100LL or Jet-A is not a problem. I ran it just becuz I could and it was FREE. And I just wanted to state it above that it didn't change nothing except the smell of the exhaust.

100LL
            Dyed blue, 100LL, spoken as "100 low lead", contains tetra-ethyl lead (TEL), a lead based anti-knock compound, but less than the "highly-leaded" 100/130 avgas it effectively replaced. Most piston aircraft engines require 100LL and a suitable replacement fuel has not yet been developed for these engines. While there are similar engines that burn non-leaded fuels, aircraft are often purchased with engines that use 100LL because many airports only have 100LL. 100LL contains a maximum of 2 grams of lead per US gallon, or maximum 0.56 grams/litre and is the most commonly available and used aviation gasoline.
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Congrats on putting a fuel in your bike that contains what is quite possibly, the single most disastrous and environmentally damaging compound that has ever been used by humanity.

And i wasnt trying to insult you, i was just expressing that Lead is terrible stuff, no matter what we do with it. It has its purposes, but i believe lead, mercury other heavy metals should be handled more appropriately as the toxic materials they are. THe mere act of smelling it would freak me out and have me running for the vitamin C (the typical treatment for lead buildup).

Consequently, TEL was created by thomas midgly, the same piece of scum that created freon and pioneered CFC's. A needed evil for the sake of technological advancement yes,but it makes me feel warm inside to know that the douchebag was strangled by one of his own inventions.
              charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

I put 105 racing fuel in a lawnmower when I was a kid, just to see what it would do. Roared like crazy and made the muffler turn cherry red.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerx52 View Post
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetra-ethyl_lead#Toxicity

Congrats on putting a fuel in your bike that contains what is quite possibly, the single most disastrous and environmentally damaging compound that has ever been used by humanity.

And i wasnt trying to insult you, i was just expressing that Lead is terrible stuff, no matter what we do with it. It has its purposes, but i believe lead, mercury other heavy metals should be handled more appropriately as the toxic materials they are. THe mere act of smelling it would freak me out and have me running for the vitamin C (the typical treatment for lead buildup).
                  Now I see alittle more where your coming from. But I work around 100LL quite often so never really worried about it nor was I warned neither.

But im the same way about M.E.K.. Which some of the guys at work seem to bathe in the stuff. I don't won't to be near it.
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Occasionally i mix about a gallon of 110 race fuel in the tank cuz it smells so good! sitting at a red light a guy rolled his window down and said "Dayum that smells good" all i could do was agree i know it's not gonna turn me into Ben Spies, i just do it cuz it smells good.
                    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
                    Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
                    My prayers go out to his family & friends.
                    He is the best there was and ever been.
                    RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

Working...
                    X