X

2 Questions for the experts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions for the experts

I've got 2 questions. I've read tons of threads in this section on engine troubles people have had but I am not sure if this is the same as others or not.

First up, I just bought a 98 Kat 600. ~17k miles (though, i'm geussing a little more becuase the speedo is wonky. Thats another story).

She starts easily with a little choke and after either a minute or two of choke, or a minute of holding the RPMs up a bit with the throttle she will idle without stalling. It's a little low, around 1k rpms but it still idles. I tried to adjust the idle, but the screw seems stuck It will turn a little bit, but it feels like i'm turning the casing as well as the screw, like it's stuck. I haven't taken the fairing off yet to get at it better, just wondering if that's happened to anyone else before.

The bigger problem is that if i hammer on the throttle the engine boggs down terrible betweek 4k-6k rpms. If i go easy on the throttle (i'd say 1/3 throttle or less) it will get through that range just fine. any more and it will not go above 4kish . . then it'll slowly start to jump its way through. Once it gets above 6k it picks back up again. there's another smaller sticky spot just like it up around 9k or so.

What do you think? I ran 1/2 bottle of seafoam in the last tank of gas and it seemed to help, but there's definitely still a problem This tank of gas is straight mobil 87 octane. I figure i'll run the other 1/2 bottle of seafoam in the next tank but i am thinking it's not going to fix it all the way.

Thanks.
    Last edited by zeekage; 05-16-2009, 07:29 PM.

time for a really good carb cleaning
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
      time for a really good carb cleaning
      I do that far cheap then a dealership will charge you too BTW.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree . And the idle cable is probably just frozen or somehow misrouted . No big deal to fix . It's an odd lil cable that bends up into the middle of the carbs . Sometimes it can get twisted or gunked-up and gets hard to move . You can TRY to force it , but it'd be better to actually take the carbs off and straighten it out before REALLY breaking it ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I bet it's just screwed in all the way

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            I bet it's just screwed in all the way
            Ditto. Yank the cable, clean and reinstall if not broken.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking forward to paying a shop to clean the carbs for me, but I'm not sure i trust myself to take them off and put then back on correctly. My Father in Law is pretty mechanically inclined, I guess I'll have to bribe him with lots of beer to help out and make sure I don't screw anything up.

in the mean time is it doing any harm to the engine to leave them that way? The bike is very ridable even if i can't hammer the throttle (maybe even safer this way for now haha)

Comment

hello? Is this thing on?
                I do that far cheap then a dealership will charge you too BTW.

Comment

hello? Is this thing on?

Didn't I warn you about being invisible before? Now stop it.

Comment

hello? Is this thing on?
                    I saw your post. I have read many a thread about your masterful carb cleaning skills. I assumed that there would still be a good amount of work involved getting them on and off the bike. Is it really that easy to just take em off and then put em on when i get them back?

if so, the next question would be what would the turnaround time be (minus transit time) and what is your price?

Comment

Originally posted by zeekage View Post
                      I saw your post. I have read many a thread about your masterful carb cleaning skills. I assumed that there would still be a good amount of work involved getting them on and off the bike. Is it really that easy to just take em off and then put em on when i get them back?

if so, the next question would be what would the turnaround time be (minus transit time) and what is your price?
                      Taking them off and reinstalling is the easier part.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I wish arsenic lived close to me. got one heck of a carb problem. 2 bikes gotta take care of, the Ninja is easy i've done my old 500 (miss you baby) a couple of xs before but the Kat... i can't even get the clamp-screws out there so tight. lol.
                        a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
                        so i lied and gave up my girl.

Comment

Originally posted by zeekage View Post
                          price is $150 + parts. Turnaround time is 1 day if you don't need parts. If you do they'll be done the day I get your parts from BikeBandit, which is fast as hell.

Comment

Working...
                          X