What broke?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What broke?

1997 Katana 600
    Yesterday my clutch went out on me. I pulled the clutch in and then it "popped" loose. The lever just freely moves. The cable won't extract back in. I managed to drive it home by popping it into 1st while moving then shifting without the clutch.
    So I was taking it apart and found this:

Those are two ball bearing sitting behind the dust cover on the sprocket cover.

Also, I adjusted the clutch (following this http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698) about 50 miles ago before it broke. Maybe had something to do with that?
    I adjusted it because it was nearly impossible to find neutral when not moving. I figured it was because the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. Once I adjusted it, then it was so easy to find neutral. And now it disengages the clutch early instead of having to pull the lever all the way.
    Any ideas?
    1997 Katana 600

I took it further apart today. The part I took a picture of is where the ball bearings came from. What actually ended up breaking was the link from the very end of the clutch cable and that piece in the picture.

Now I just need to find out what that stuff is called so I can buy it.
    1997 Katana 600

Comment

I'm not sure where those ball bearings would have come from.

The worm gear broke
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        I'm not sure where those ball bearings would have come from.

The worm gear broke
        I had that component apart recently (don't know what it's called, but when when rotated it pushes a pushrod into the clutch on the other side of the bike), and it had some ball bearings in it.

IIRC, the cylindrical housing had ball bearings arranged in a spiral pattern on the inside, and the cylindrical part in the center that actually rotated and pushed the rod had spiral grooves in it. It worked somewhat like a screw.

I didn't take a picture of the mechanism while extended, but here's mine when I first pulled the sprocket cover off my bike when I got it:

Yeah, I replaced the sprockets and chain

Comment

Originally posted by Ralls View Post
          I took it further apart today. The part I took a picture of is where the ball bearings came from. What actually ended up breaking was the link from the very end of the clutch cable and that piece in the picture.

Now I just need to find out what that stuff is called so I can buy it.
          The Clymer manual calls it a clutch release mechanism.
          Bill

Comment

I just took a picture to show exactly what broke:
            Snapped off in those two spots. That's the link from the cable to the "release mechanism." Kinda weak right there if you ask me.

And here is where the ball bearings came from I'm going to need that whole mechanism because the part that broke cannot be separated from the release mechanism. Looks riveted on.
            1997 Katana 600

Comment

Interesting. Try sending a PM to arsenic, he might have the parts.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ohh I just realized that whole flat section above those red circles I drew snapped clean off. I thought it was like that until I saw your picture paul.miner
                1997 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Interesting. Try sending a PM to arsenic, he might have the parts.
                  I just PMed him. Thanks for the recommendation.

And thank you everyone else.
                  1997 Katana 600

Comment

I had to order one a few years back . "Clutch lifter mechanism" is what they called it @ ronayers.com , for the record ....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yeah, I DO have it. I took a picture and PM'd him.

Comment

Just wanted to say that I got that part from arsenic. Also bought a new clutch cable for good measure. It's been holding up so far
                        1997 Katana 600

Comment

I need this part too for my '94 750, if anyone knows where to find it or has it in stock Rather not have to replace the whole basket.

Comment

Screw, Clutch Release
                            I suggest you actually READ the thread before asking a question next time.

Comment

Its just called your clutch assmbly, I bought mine through a local dealer but check out suzukipartshouse, It was about $35 for me
                              Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Comment

Working...
                              X