X

Rebuilding a Petcock on a 98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a Petcock on a 98

Okay, I'm going to blame Ethanol for destroying the rubber in my 98's petcock. Caused a lot of trouble as the fuel wouldn't shut off when the engine was off. This and apparently a sticky float in carb number 1 caused the engine to fill up with gas and then overflow into the airbox while the bike sat not being ridden for a week. What a mess!

After cleaning it all up, I started looking for a petcock rebuild kit, but couldn't find any kits for 98s or later. Upon looking into it, I could get a kit for the 97 models for $25, but would it fit? The only difference I found between the two petcocks was that my 98's petcock outlet was to the rear and the earlier petcocks were to the front. Taking a chance, I ordered the rebuild kit for the 97s. To my great relief, the kit fits perfectly with the exception of the spring included in the kit. I reused the spring that was in my petcock and everything went back together easily. No more problematic petcock, no more engine flooding, no more Ethanol, and I saved about $80 rebuilding instead of replacing.

What was the difference between the springs?...

and good to know that a pre rebuild will mostly work.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It's been a couple of months since I did the rebuild, but one spring was quite a bit longer than the other. I want to say it was the replacement spring that was too long. Either way, I just reused the original spring and it seems to be working fine.

Comment

where did you find the kit?
        1999 Katana 750 K&N filter, Yoshi slip-on, 2nd LED strobe brake light, white LED driving lights mounted on the front reflector bracket, amber LED strobes for PGR missions and funerals, American and PGR Flag mount. Because its the right thing to do!

Comment

Originally posted by innocentbp View Post
          where did you find the kit?
          The_CyberPoet sells the rebuild kits for the Pres... and per this thread, works well for the Posts.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I bought it from a local bike shop. They just ordered it out of a parts catalog. Not sure which one. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              and good to know that a pre rebuild will mostly work.

Krey
              now there is confirmation, to something that has been said many, many times.

Comment

I was
                Just going to ask this question.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X