X

Barnett Clutch Springs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnett Clutch Springs

I've noticed a little slippage when realling getting into it a few times lately. Special K jetted it and put on a K&N filter. Would Barnett clutch springs help. And how hard are they to replace?

My bikes has 20K on it however, I don't ride it like I stole it all of the time. When I had the valves adjusted, the guy said it was in excellent shape and he could tell that I didn't change gears at redline every time.

Have you adjusted the clutch yet? There should be a small amount of slack before the lever actuates the clutch.
    1994 Kawasaki ZX6E

Comment

Haven't tried adjusting the clutch yet. That would help with slipping?

The clutch engages fine. It's just when I tached it on up and went through the gears it felt like slipped.

Comment

20K is a typical expected lifespan for a motorcycle clutch that has seen primarily urban driving (street lights, stop signs, etc).

If the clutch is slipping at 20k (and it's not the cable adjustment), and since the friction pads are cheap in general, replace them and the springs (use the barnetts) if you're going to bother opening up the clutch in the first place.

KNOW THIS:
        Any motor oils containing PFTE (teflon), Moly (molybdenum disulfide) or graphite will cause the clutch to slip and the only cure is to replace the friction pads -- AND ALL OF THE OIL (including the oil in the oil cooler).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The springs are great. Easy to install and really grabs.
          Bike is sold

Comment

NO DOUBT!! NEW SPRINGS!!!!

I had clutch slippage due to synthetic oil and installed EBC springs (4) at $15.00 which included shipping and WOW what a difference for the better.

NO DOUBT!! NEW SPRINGS!!!! Can't go wrong for $15 bucks.

jim
            Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

Try the new springs first. They're cheap and even if they don't work, it certainly won't hurt to have them and a new clutch.

FWIW, my TLR's clutch started slipping at the end of last summer. Over the winter I put in a set of Barnetts. Not only did they stop the slipping, but I've put 10,000 additional miles on the bike (35,000 total miles) and there is still no slipping.
              I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

DingBat:

Let's adjust the clutch FIRST, then see how it works!

You can always add the springs...............anytime!

K
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Special K Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:30 am Post subject:

DingBat:Let's adjust the clutch FIRST, then see how it works!

You can always add the springs...............anytime!
                  That's true; BUT, for $15.00 and 1-2 hours the end result is worth the effort and $. WAY better grip and considering you jetted the bike that about 5-10 HP more that your clutch has work at connecting to the rear wheel.

Just RH plastic, one cover w/gasket and hex head screws and 4 bolts with springs under them and your done.

my2cents
                  jim
                  Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

I put new plates in the bike as well as springs. I did this, so I could put synthetic oil in the bike. It cost me a 100 dollars and took me 1 1/2 hours. Both the plates and springs were Barnett. No slipage at all with the clutch.
                    Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Working...
                    X