X

Crank-less

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank-less

This is probably a simple question but I have searched it on here and used the search function to no avail. This is what happened.. started the bike this morning to warm it up.. everything was fine. I had the choke up and walked down the driveway to grab a towel try dry up the seat because of dew.. next thing I know I hear a crash and my bike is on the floor on it's left side. It takes a couple of seconds but it dies out. After cursing to myself and wondering WTF happened and wondering how the hell it fell (probably not leaned right on kickstand) I picked it up tried to start it. Not even a crank or an attempt to turn over. Tried it on Nuetral with the kickstand up and down. Tried it on all the gears with the kickstand the same way (up/down), The light for nuetral obviously works. So i've been working on it with my haynes manual, (don't have service manual) checked the fuses, sparkplugs new.. battery is several months new too. I hope its not the screwed starter anything, cash it low. Most threads posted in starting problems here usually have a crank. mine doesn't do a damn thing. Any advice?
    http://www.rollinhardriderz.com
    http://www.myspace.com/hostyle742

sigpic

It fell on the left side, check your clutch safety switch.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      It fell on the left side, check your clutch safety switch.

Comment

Well, when a bike won't start, I usually run down the 3 common things:

Killswitch, clutch safety switch, sidestand safety switch. I think Katanas have issues with the clutch safety switch goin' out pretty easily (mine did..), so you may need to jumper it temporarily with a paper clip for a quick test.

Could possibly be a more annoying issue, but I doubt it. I've seen bikes bounce down the road a few times, and they mostly started right up *laugh*

--B

Comment

It probably is electrical related but I remember when I was doing a valve adjustment how the carbs would leak gas when I turned them sideways. It maaaybe possible that when it was taking a Kat nap that liquid fuel may have been sucked into the cylinders and now it's hydrolocking causing the engine to stop and preventing it from cranking over.

The times that my bike has fallen I was right there and I shut it down within 2 seconds so I can't say this scenario is factual.

But it's easy enough to check for electrical faults.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

hhmm. Cool. I'll check the clutch safety switch (as soon as I find out what and where it is) and if that fails I'll look into the cylinders when I get home. Thanks everyone.

sigpic

Comment

Clutch safety switch is on the underside of your left handlebar cluster.

Gonna have a couple wires wrapped in a black jacket (on mine, anyway) coming in the underside. If you pull it off, it'll just be two female spade connectors. Jumper it with a paper clip and see if you can crank up.

If it works, you found your issue. You can either replace it (not a bad idea, it IS a safety feature), bypass it in the wiring harness, or jumper it permanently (not as recommended, heh).

I can't find a clearly-labeled fiche detailing the switch itself in short order, but I think it's exploded part 8 here. If this is incorrect, someone please let me know *grin*

--B

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxrox View Post
                Clutch safety switch is on the underside of your left handlebar cluster.

Gonna have a couple wires wrapped in a black jacket (on mine, anyway) coming in the underside. If you pull it off, it'll just be two female spade connectors. Jumper it with a paper clip and see if you can crank up.

If it works, you found your issue. You can either replace it (not a bad idea, it IS a safety feature), bypass it in the wiring harness, or jumper it permanently (not as recommended, heh).

I can't find a clearly-labeled fiche detailing the switch itself in short order, but I think it's exploded part 8 here. If this is incorrect, someone please let me know *grin*

--B
                I ended up just running the wires together and leaving it be on mine. Once it started giving me trouble, it was toast. I still have the replacement from Suzuki in the bag unopened

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yup, You guys got it right. it was the clutch safety switch. Just rigged it for now with a wire and electrical tape but definately be shopping around for a replacement soon when cash isn't that much of an issue. Thanks again.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bagyo View Post
                    Yup, You guys got it right. it was the clutch safety switch. Just rigged it for now with a wire and electrical tape but definately be shopping around for a replacement soon when cash isn't that much of an issue. Thanks again.
                    Glad to hear it was something so simple bro. Back on the road

Comment

Originally posted by bagyo View Post

careful cause it will start in without clutch squeezed
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                      X