X

Carbs "beyond repair"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs "beyond repair"

Had my bike at the mechanics for the last two weeks while they try to sort out why it won't idle. They diagnosed gummed carbs and soaked them in carb cleaner twice, but problem has not changed at all. Now they don't want to put any more time into it, say there's not much more they can do.

Anyone got any further suggestions? Replacing the carbs is probably not a sensible option because the cost would outweigh the value of the bike unless I could find really clean second hand carbs.

Cheers
    Duncan

Ultrasonic carb dip ? I've heard good things .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The dealer's looking to avoid clogging up their schedule by spending more time than they can really charge you for. Clean them yourself. Head to the auto parts store and look for a gallon can of carb cleaner. It should come with a handy basket to put the jets in and the carb bodies can be dropped in below the basket. You'll have to do the bodies one at a time (and make sure you've got all the o-rings, etc off first so you don't melt them) but soaking them overnight and then blowing out all the passages with compressed air has always done the trick for me. Worst I've ever seen needed two soakings, normally clogged carbs usually need about 20 minutes. It'll take some time but at the dealer's hourly rate it's worth doing yourself.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Apparently they can be sent off for some kind of vacuum treatment, but the mechanics have left them soak overnight once, and for two days the second time without success. I like the idea of blowing them through with compressed air, I have a compressor so could try that.

Cheers,
        Duncan

Comment

send them to arsenic ! he had a set of really dirty carbs a few months back and they were spotless when he was done!
          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories another option

Comment

I'm not sure if it's sold across the pond, but this would be my next step: http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=146
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If anything, an ultrasound bath gets rid of EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanS View Post
                  Had my bike at the mechanics for the last two weeks while they try to sort out why it won't idle. They diagnosed gummed carbs and soaked them in carb cleaner twice, but problem has not changed at all. Now they don't want to put any more time into it, say there's not much more they can do.

Anyone got any further suggestions? Replacing the carbs is probably not a sensible option because the cost would outweigh the value of the bike unless I could find really clean second hand carbs.

Cheers
                  Duncan
                  I've got a good set off the '98 600 that I just traded off. Story is, I bought an Ivan's jet kit and I didn't want to lose riding time if I had problems installing it so I bought some '06 carbs off eBay to install the kit in. They were just fine before hand, maybe a bit dirty, but nothing a quick cleaning couldn't fix. The TPS was busted during shipping of the new carbs, so they're missing that part but it's easy enough to swap your current TPS on there.

I've got stock jets & a Dyno Jet kit for them.

Was planning on taking pics of my leftover parts and posting them up on here for sale this weekend.
                  - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                  2005 F4i -

Comment

NOTHING is beyond repair dude, NOTHING. What they are is a pita for the dealership, NOT beyond repair. Why would a dealer wanna wast time with a tuna.

Comment

Working...
                    X