X

3500 rpm flat spot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 rpm flat spot?

I have rode motocross all my life. I recently bought my first street bike, a 97 Katana 750 with 11k miles. The bike has to be choked slightly to get started and takes a while to warm up, I think I can fix this with a washer on the needle or an adjustable needle. My main problem is a flat spot between 3500 and 4200 rpm, after that it pulls really strong, I'm not really familiar with this type of carb and was wondering if it was a jetting issue. It has a 4 into 1 slip on under it and a Honda silencer?? (I'm not sure how that happened, it was like that when I got it). I am also checking the compression this evening and changing plugs, if there are any suggesttions on the best plugs. Any insight on this bike is greatly appreciated.

If the 750 is like the 600, 4k is when the main needles should start to move and let the main jets start working. I had a similar flat spot stock and an Ivan's jet kit cured it.
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

Comment

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, but experience is better than a hunch.

Comment

a very good cleaning never hurts either. with a 4-1 exhaust it might already be jetted. a 5* advancer is a simple upgrade too
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Shimming the needles won't help warm-up time . But it MAY help the low/mid rpm weakness ....
          Best plugs are stock plugs . NGK JR9C .
          Has the bike been jetted ? Check it out . Many just turn screwdrivers and hope for the best . Also look at the bottom of the slides to see if they've been drilled/tapped . I had to fill mine in and re-drill them the right size because of the aforementioned .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If I were a betting man, I'd say the owner took the jet kit out of the bike and sold it seperately before you bought the bike from him.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

take the K&N out and install factory AF

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Don't have a K&N,,,, Do have an AR-15 (and others) though, and I agree.

Comment

Working...
                X