X

Starter possibly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter possibly?

Ok so this is a new problem that just started occuring. After letting the bike sit for a couple hours, when I go to start the bike the starter turns really slow, and it sounds like the batteries dead, but as I hold the button down the starter seems to pick up speed, the lights get brighter, and sometimes it will start, sometimes it kills the battery before it ever starts...Is the starter shot? When I jump it with my truck the starter sounds just fine and only needs one or two turns to start the bike. I just checked the battery with a multi meter. As soon as I went to start it and it sounded slow I stopped to check, got about 12 volts, and then proceeded to start it but ended up killing the battery. Almost sounds like the starter is pulling too many amps...ideas?
    "If you aint first, you're last"

connect voltmeter so you can see read out as you are trying to start
    what does the voltage go to with a load ?
    I would guess any less than 10 volts under load its time for a battery
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I would start by cleaning all the cable connections on the battery and solenoid, etc. Then I would suspect the battery itself before the starter.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

you're jumping with your truck off right? You can fry your electronics if it's on. There is also a thread around here somewhere about the tightness of the bolts or something that hold the starter in place. It was some crazy simple solution. I believe it was Scottynoface that made the suggestion and it turned out to be the problem
        Let's go riding!

Comment

battery should read 12.6+v . If it's under , it's not as strong as it SHOULD be .... And yes , I read where you tried to start it , and it read 12v AFTER . Still ......
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'll try reading the voltage while I start it, but the thing that I find weird is after I let it warm up, I'll shut it off, and then start it like 2 mins later and it starts fine, the starter turns normally and everything. I have also let the battery sit on a tender for plenty of time and still get the same reaction, my tender has a check battery light which has never come on which is why I didn't think it would be the battery. I think the reason it won't start with the starter turning all slow is because the engine's not getting enough compression to pull proper fuel and air mixture into the cylinders correct?
            "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

when the engine is cold the oil is thicker for one
              after just shutting it off the battery should be fully charged
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

md86 already hit it on the head -- battery is on it's way out.
                More here:
                motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey Dank View Post
                  I think the reason it won't start with the starter turning all slow is because the engine's not getting enough compression to pull proper fuel and air mixture into the cylinders correct?
                  No . Reverse would be true . If compression is WEAK , it'll turn FASTER .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X