First post and suspension question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and suspension question

Hey guys,

I'm new here, so I'd like to say hello. I'm gonna be getting my brothers '95 750 kat and he said the bike dives a bit. I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on what it would cost to reseal the front forks. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to KatRiders
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      sorry don't know what a price would be
      1999 Katana 750

Comment

Hello and welcome, that to me sounds like a really cheap fix but unfortunately i don't know exact numbers sorry

Comment

Welcome to KR!!

My first question would be are the fork seals leaking?

My answer to the diving is they are supposed to dive, now if they bottom out then that would be another issue. When you get the bike put a zip tie around the fork tube not real tight and then slide it down until is just sits on the dust seal and go for a ride. Being that it is a new bike to you use the brakes to a point that you are confident with and no more (Don't want you crashing) and then check the distance from the zip tie to the top of the dust seal. That will tell you how much travel you used when you applied the brakes.

EDIT: I did make the assumption that you were talking about diving under braking.

Tmod
          Last edited by Tmod; 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Welcome to KR
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Welcome to KR! Ride safe
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                Welcome to KR!!

My first question would be are the fork seals leaking?

My answer to the diving is they are supposed to dive, now if they bottom out then that would be another issue. When you get the bike put a zip tie around the fork tube not real tight and then slide it down until is just sits on the dust seal and go for a ride. Being that it is a new bike to you use the brakes to a point that you are confident with and no more (Don't want you crashing) and then check the distance from the zip tie to the top of the dust seal. That will tell you how much travel you used when you applied the brakes.

EDIT: I did make the assumption that you were talking about diving under braking.

Tmod
                Preach on ,suspension guru .
                Also , if you shim the stock springs (either make longer spacers , or stack washers) , it'll help TONS with the dive thing . Kinda ghetto , but for a not-so-fat rider , not often 2-up , and all other parts being in decent shape , it won't hurt anything ..... Mine dives almost none under braking .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X