X

is this normal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this normal?

it's turned purple and has become self-aware, also burns when I pee is this normal?

Joking!
    When riding my 99 Kat 750 around for awhile when I sit at a red light or something in 1st with the clutch in my rpms will sit around 1500 then rev up on its own to about 2300 for a second or so then back down to 1500 for a bit then back up again. But everything runs great when I ride.
    So is it nornal for my rpms to flux like that?
    1999 Katana 750

Maybe you need an oil change or a carb sync? No real new ideas, just repeating what I've seen on here

Comment

Hrm...choke sticking maybe? Either that or a wonky throttle cable.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Overheating? Happens to me in stop and go traffic sometimes, an oil change helped that.
        sigpic

Comment

+1 about the choke. I have had this happen before. RPM's would go up on their own when by choke cable was bad. Got a new one from bikebandit for $26 and havent had a problem since then
          Let's go riding!

Comment

i'd be more concerned about li'l Dfurgi..... =$
            the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
            [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Sounds like a stuck/sticking choke cable. When they go, they break on the inside of the sheathing. If you look down at the left side of the bike, you can see the choke assembly, if you push on it with your finger, does it move in as if the choke was not pulled back all the way?

Go check it and let us know....

Oh yeah and get the cable from The Cyberpoet...support the Forum and his retirement!!! LOL!
              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Comment

You broke it
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well as far as I can tell the cable feels solid, maybe it does just need an oil change
                    I'll get a filter and some oil asap
                    1999 Katana 750

Comment

You need a K&N filter, a turbo, and a 240 rear tire to solve that problem.
                      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

duely noted
                        1999 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Dfurgi View Post
                          Well as far as I can tell the cable feels solid, maybe it does just need an oil change
                          I'll get a filter and some oil asap
                          Notes:
                          A minor vacuum leak or an overheating Kat will put the RPM's in that range. Ditto a sticking or mis-adjusted throttle cable, sticking choke cable, or sticking choke plungers. If it was just at 1500 solid, then I would advise you to simply turn down your idle adjuster knob (left side of the carbs, by where your left knee sits when you ride); since it's "ranging" between two very different RPM levels, it's one of the other reasons.
                          Choke cable operation should be no more force than bending a paperclip -- if it is, then that is probably your issue. Simple enough to diagnose: disconnect the choke cable totally at the carbs and see if the issue disappears.
                          Choke plungers: these sometimes stick if debris/grime builds up on them. Easy to rectify -- pull the choke all the way on, clean the plungers with a spray cleaner (carb cleaner) or cleaner-lubricant (WD40 works well for the plungers)
                          Throttle cable(s) -- overly tight/misadjusted: does the RPMs increase if you turn the steering all the way to the right? If so, the cables are set too tight, and that's your issue.
                          Throttle cable(s) binding -- given that your RPM's do NOT increase when turning the steering all the way to the right, with the wheel pointed dead forward, engine OFF, if you pull the throttle to wide-open and release, do you hear a distinctive "click" or "snap" immediately after releasing (comes from the butterflies snapping closed). If not, the throttle cable(s) are binding and should be lubed and/or replaced. Pre-98 has a single throttle cable; 98+ has two cables (a pull cable, and a push cable).
                          Minor vacuum leak(s) -- most common ones for this particular symptom would be the drain tube for the airbox being off at the airbox or open at the other end (should always be sealed when the engine is running), or the little vacuum sync port rubber-nipples having a tear in them (or missing one). Check the drain tube and replace the vacuum nipples if in doubt. There are other potential causes, but most will cause other issues as well (bad cold idle for example). California [pollution-control system] models can have additional sources of problems in that sense.
                          Overheating -- fuel vaporizing out of the carbs comes to an actual boil in a bike that's way too hot, generating a much richer fueling and a higher vacuum level that tends to up the RPM's. Learn to look for signs of overheating, and either take a different route (that lets the bike not 'sit' as much while running), learn to shut down at stop lights, or change your riding habits (get out of the lower gears faster instead of riding them hard, esp. first through third). Optionally, install a temp sender and gauge to let you know definitively what's going on there.
                          NOTE: if you overheat your oil, it loses it's viscosity and should be changed ASAP.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just picked up my 1989 Kat 2 weeks ago. Mine actually either idles around 700-800rpms (fluctuating between the two ratios) at a stop with the clutch pulled in, or around 1200rpms, also with the clutch pulled in. It's either one or the other. Also, just like you've described, she's awsome while riding.I was going to have the carbs cleaned, thinking it may be a problem. But now that you've posted a similar problem, either A-we both may have dirty carbs, or B-this is common. I'm sorry for not helping much, but i figured it may give you a little comfort to know others are having similar problems.

To Cyberpoet, Thanks for the info. I'll look into all of the above. Ride safe!
                            Last edited by Irocondrums; 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm hoping it might be overheating and needs and oilchange cause I know I need one anyways its just gotten to that time, but i'll be getting to that this week
                              I'm taking my fairings off really soon to do a mesh mod and puit in clear turnsignals so while those are off I'll be able to get a better looking into the clutch cables and see whats up there.
                              If its in need of a carb clean then I'll have to get to that too though I have no idea how to do one (i've only had the bike a few months) but hey thats what this site's for
                              Thanks Cyber Poet for all your help, I'll post up when I figure it out to let ya know Irocondrums
                              1999 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X